Dam Quick 3001

Started by sharkman, December 20, 2016, 02:42:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkman

Good morning from the west coast of Florida.  I recently read the Alan Hawk article on the Quick 5001.  During the search for one of these reels I have come across a 3001. Does anyone know any specs on these reels such as line capacity and drag rating.

foakes

In these days (80's & early 90's) -- drag wasn't really rated -- it was just being discovered as a possible upgradeable feature to improve spinning and conventional reel performance.

Sort of like global warming -- no one wanted to believe that larger greased drag discs would smooth out and increase drag numbers.  Then along comes a fellow who convinced me -- along with Alan Tani, Bryan, Sal, and others.

But a 3001 has the larger drag washers & black aluminum skirted spool -- so it should be capable when set up and adjusted properly with lightly greased CFs.

Recommended line capacities (in yards) taken from a new spool are:

390-8, 325-10, 250-12, 215-15, 170-20

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

sharkman

Thanks Fred for the answer. I appreciate all the help and advice you have given on multiple occasions. Happy Holidays.

ReelFishingProblems

Sharkman

I also just read that article and still planning on calling you in a few weeks. I think we both need 5001s.

Anyone out there with two 5001s they need to part with?

Nick
Valrico, FL (in 1 week)

sharkman

The article sold me too. The reel has some really cool features.

sharkman

I was able to purchase the reel. Done a quick service on reel. It came out really smooth. Spooled with braid and took dock fishing for big sheephead.  The reel performed amazing and the drag is extremely strong.

ReelFishingProblems

There is a 5001 for sale on big auction house. I just not two more reels so not sure if I can bring another one in the house without buying some shiny stuff for the wife too. But if seeing yours in action demands it, I will be buying one for sure.

Also on a side note, what are the best lunch spots close to MacDill? I just tried 4 Rivers smokehouse and that was pretty awesome.

Send me an email if you can
nicholaspoppen@gmail.com

cwillis85

My wife just left a job at Macdill ,  she says hula Bay and Rosen Thai were her favorite eats over that way.
Chris

sharkman

I live near St Pete Beach don't know a lot of places to eat. Datz and Wrights are two good places near Macdill

ReelFishingProblems

Quote from: cwillis85 on January 04, 2017, 02:18:24 AM
My wife just left a job at Macdill ,  she says hula Bay and Rosen Thai were her favorite eats over that way.

Chris,
Where in Tampa are you at? And based off the picture are you kayak fishing in the bay?

Quote from: sharkman on January 04, 2017, 03:18:20 AM
I live near St Pete Beach don't know a lot of places to eat. Datz and Wrights are two good places near Macdill
Have you heard of winter fishing near TECO power station? How is fishing in St Pete in winter?

Nick

cwillis85

I am in Dover,  Valrico is on the other side of I-4 from me.

I tend to fish the backwaters off Courtney Campbell,  I have a few spots where the snook and redfish play. I also fish alot from the sunshine skyway,  mostly due to the child friendly accommodations and the abundance of bait,  my 4 year old bounces a sabiki off the bottom and will pull up as much bait as she cares to catch.
Chris

ReelFishingProblems

Quote from: cwillis85 on January 04, 2017, 12:38:53 PM
I am in Dover,  Valrico is on the other side of I-4 from me.

I tend to fish the backwaters off Courtney Campbell,  I have a few spots where the snook and redfish play. I also fish alot from the sunshine skyway,  mostly due to the child friendly accommodations and the abundance of bait,  my 4 year old bounces a sabiki off the bottom and will pull up as much bait as she cares to catch.

PM sent