Avet 6.0:1 to 4.6:1

Started by Rare, April 09, 2011, 04:03:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rare

New here as a member, but always as a lurker. Always great to know that because of these tutorials, I'm able to work on the reels & keep them casting for miles in Key West.

Here is the question. I have 2 avet reels that are 6.0:1, but I want the cranking power of the the 4.6:1.
Can they be change? What are the steps needed for this-parts? Is the Drive Shaft Gear & Pinion Gear all that is need for this? Thanks, again!

AJ

I would e-mail Avet.  I recently asked if my old SX 5.0 would accept the newer offset handles and they replied (no) in a day or two.

akfish

I'd call Avet; it sometimes take a while to get an e-mail response. That said, I'm pretty sure that you can change from 6.0 to 4.6 gears. You'll need both the main gear and the pinion. I don't think you could go the other way because the sideplate of the faster reel is larger to accomodate the larger diameter main gear.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Rare

Looking good so far & thanks for the reply... Wanted to get an answer before calling them to make sure. It will be nice to just switch gears when needed even if I am staying with the 4.6 about 99% of the time. Alan your take?

Cowbass

Avets email response is slow and really not very helpful. Best thing is to call them, they always answer during business hours. Just remember there in California so pacific time!!! Good luck
SHUT UP AND FISH!!!

Rare

I talked to Scott at avet- cool guy. He will give me a ring on what is needed on Wed. I will get the cost & parts needed& post if anyone wants to do this . I joked around and asked him about the new spinner reels..He started laughing and said we get phone calls everyday on them. Still in the drawing board..lol

alantani

Quote from: AJ on April 09, 2011, 06:45:51 PM
I would e-mail Avet.  I recently asked if my old SX 5.0 would accept the newer offset handles and they replied (no) in a day or two.

if your old sx has an aluminum grip, then it will accept an offset grip!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Rare

Okay...it will be 3 parts only that you will need. Pinion Gear, Main Drive Gear & the "Steel Brake?"( Brake Disk) They were closing so will get a call back. Total for these parst are $55.00. I will double check on the Steel Brake & why..

Rare

Avet..... Avet.... Avet

Sorry guys their CSR are the worst! When you hear that they will call you back, don't believe the hype. I had them finally give me a call back on Monday. She was checking up if what I was ordering from last week was correct. The problem was she was reading an old e-mail that I sent the first time. When I finally gave them the parts I wanted over the phone & CC# they were going to call back 2 days later... nothing. I PM Scott at another forum who is I believe the tech guy I spoke too and PM him letting him know that it was a sad how they handle the order of parts. That is when I got the call later on. (Mon)

When you are ordering parts & viewing their schematics & you want small parts there is no reason the other person talking to you on the line saying there is no piece like that unless she is sure & has the schematics in front of her. Are you looking at the schematics-28A is optional on the LX 4.6. Over & over...I said the same

What I don't get is why avet website can't handle where you can buy what you need without having to deal with anyone there. Click on the parts you need & buy!!

I wanted:

1. The Power Handle Single Speed LARGE in blue

2.28A drive shaft washer LX 4.6 (oh, yes it for the LX 4.6..Yes we have it)  http://www.avetreels.net/uploads/LX_4.6.pdf

3. Pinion gear LX 4.6

4. Drive Gear LX 4.6

5. Steel brake LX 4.6

6. "2" Spool Spring washer LX 6.0

Well, as she put me on hold...I was talking to a friend & as she came back I said I should have gotten accurate reels. She said it will be $95 plus shipping & hung up..I don't think I will get the parts...That is fine & know where I stand with them. I will have a tackle store order me the damn parts so I don't have to deal with them if I still have their reels by then.

alantani

yeah, when i call them, i always make sure i have part numbers and ask straight up "yes or no" questions.  if they don't like you, imagine what they must think of me!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Rare

Maybe they also heard I like to use cal grease on the drag washer.  :o Haven't got anything, oh well! Money goes now to a boat trip this weekend in the Keys after some bridge fishing... ;D