Interchangeable magnetic screw set

Started by LetItFly, April 10, 2011, 11:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LetItFly

Does anyone use these type of tool? They cone with about 20 different bits from Philip heads all the way to star bits. The handle has a built in magnet so I was curious to know if it would take away the corrosion resistance on reels and its parts, thus making it more capable of getting rusted or corroded.  I will be using corrosion x on the internals as well so does it matter? Please let me know I would like to use it today it it won't matter.

Mahalo

Fog Cutter

I use a set of Brownells Magna-Tip gunsmithing screwdrivers. The tips are precision ground parallel and come in sets or individually. They are particularly valuable when you are working on high end reels. The old Pflueger Templars and Atlapacs for example, have very narrow slots and require tip #210-2. The tips can be used in power screwdrivers as well if you are working in volume. I don't think the magnetism will affect the corrosion protection of the reel. Regular proper maintenance will prevent corrosion better than anything else.

Roger

Quote from: Fog Cutter on April 11, 2011, 04:42:30 AM
I use a set of Brownells Magna-Tip gunsmithing screwdrivers. The tips are precision ground parallel and come in sets or individually. They are particularly valuable when you are working on high end reels.

That's the exact same set that I use. The tips are hollow ground for the screws on firearms and they also work great on reels........
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain