Randy thank you and do you have any .....

Started by JRD, December 24, 2016, 01:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

Received the Newell kit for the surfmaster 100 - Fantastic!  Next project is a 112hn.  So I'm looking for a tiburon narrow frame and spool if you have any, or know of any.  Red, blue, silver, black in that order of color preference. 

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Thank you for letting me know that all is well James.  Nothing makes my day like a happy customer! 

Regarding the narrow 112H kit, I am sorry to say that I have standard with Tiburon and Accurate 112H kits in silver and gold, but not the narrows.   I do have a very rare Jerry Downie custom Newell 112H narrow kit (1 5/8" frame width I believe) with aluminum Newell spool, bars, base and rod clamp.  I believe that he made less than six of these kits for friends and never offered them to the public.  Would any of the above possibly work for you?

Merry Christmas,

Randy

JRD

Swami805

I was fortunate to get one of those narrow 3/0s from Randy,Jerry Downie did a nice job and the reel  is a pleasure to fish. I would buy it if you want something that size in a 3/0, not likely to find another one. Just my 2 cents,Happy Holidays Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: Swami805 on December 25, 2016, 04:37:40 AM
I was fortunate to get one of those narrow 3/0s from Randy,Jerry Downie did a nice job and the reel  is a pleasure to fish. I would buy it if you want something that size in a 3/0, not likely to find another one. Just my 2 cents,Happy Holidays Sheridan

Thank you Sheridan!

JRD

Quote from: Swami805 on December 25, 2016, 04:37:40 AM

Yes I will be my Xmas present.  I like the idea of having a more old school and different reel.  It wasn't the original concept but I'm sure I will be happy with the new direction.  Besides with Randy's grading scale you get way better than you bargained for.  My Surfmaster kit was beautiful, no wear to be found.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Thanks for the kind words James.  I just call 'em like I see 'em, maybe a little bit on the conservative side because I don't want anyone to be disappointed when they open the box.  Here are some photos of the Jerry Downie narrow (1 5/8") 112H 3/0 Senator.  As you would expect from Jerry, the reel is in excellent mechanical condition.  I believe that it has all original factory mechanicals, no trick stuff.  The spin spools as if it were on ball bearings.  It has a tiny wobble but it spins better and longer than any stock aluminum spool 112H that I have ever seen.  The reel goes into and out of gear cleanly, drag feels smooth at all settings, and the clicker is loud and the engagement is crisp and sure. Cosmetically the reel is a solid 8.5.  The aluminum Newell bars are a nice dark black.  The finish on the Newell aluminum spool is faded to the usual uneven charcoal color with some scratches.  The Newell graphite base and rod clamp look new.  The Penn 24-55 3-position handle has a lot of scratches on the blade and knob, but nothing deep.  The inner trim rings are near mint, and the side plates are still a pretty unfaded deep red.  There are some scratches in the outer trim rings, but all of the chrome on the reel is still mirror bright, and I do not see any sign that this reel has ever seen saltwater.  I would guess that it has been used very little, if at all, since Jerry installed his narrow kit.  Please take a look at the photos and let me know if you want it.

Thanks again, and Merry Christmas!

Randy

JRD

Looks beautiful.  I will take it.  Sent you a PM.

JRD

Fantastic Randy.  I didn't have a sense of how narrow it is until I opened the box.  I was working on a 146 and took Picts for comparison.

Swami805

Mine came without a cross bar and should be plenty strong since it's pretty narrow. Makes thumbing the spool easier. Looks like he used the stock screws and added a nut to it. Food for thought anyway. Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: Swami805 on January 01, 2017, 08:43:39 PM
Mine came without a cross bar and should be plenty strong since it's pretty narrow. Makes thumbing the spool easier. Looks like he used the stock screws and added a nut to it. Food for thought anyway. Sheridan

Sheridan, if you want a cross bar, I have one for you, just let me know.