Orvis vintage spinning

Started by SilverRidge, December 27, 2016, 07:24:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilverRidge

Was fortunate to acquire this really nice Orvis spinning reel, does any of you learned gents have any info on this reel, who made it for Orvis, dates, the logo is similar to the Dam Quick product ...thanks

Paul

foakes

Hi Paul --

Good reels from the 50's, 60's, and 70's.

Made for Orvis in Italy by Zangi -- later made by Coptes in Italy.

Zangi also made quality reels for Sears Roebuck (Ted Williams), as well as ABU.

Great reels.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

steelhead_killer

I have had my eye on a 50a.... nice little reels! 
><)))">

handi2

Great reels that are well made. I've had a few over the years.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

SilverRidge

The 50As are costing some big dollars when you can find them at all, supply and demand I guess, if my recollections are correct I've seen them few years back for $15-20 on the net, now in decent condition it will set you back $75-100 ....they are a sweet looking and working reel tho..

Paul

foakes

A 50a is a neat little reel -- strong and 6.5 ounces.

Other reels in this comparable qualiy and time frame would be the Penn 420SS, Alcedo Micron, Mitchell 308/408, Penn 716, ABU Cardinal 3, Dam Quick 265 Microlite, 110, 110N, 1000, and 1001.

Some of these are sleepers -- that is to say, IMO -- they are of very high quality and can be purchased fairly reasonably -- making them a good value, as well as an appreciating investment.

We can also include and look at the Daiwa 500C, 700C, 1000C, and Mini-Mite in gold or silver.  Silver has sleeves and bushings -- gold has bearings.  Although, bearings can be substituted for the sleeves in the silver models -- it is just a disassemble and drop in deal -- few folks know this.

Why do anglers like these?  Likely because they are a ton of fun on a 5' glass ultralite rod such as a Fenwick, Wright-McGill, Shakes, Ugly Stik, or similar.  They will not break the bank -- and in case a larger fish is hooked then targeted -- the chances of bringing it in are very good for a skilled operator.

Only downside on these is parts -- if parts are available.

I am fortunate to have all of the parts needed for the Quicks, Mitchells, Penns, some Daiwas, and some ABUs -- however parts for Orvis, and some of the others require a separate parts reel -- because parts are basically non-existent.

Great reels -- and the Orvis is very nice, indeed.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: SilverRidge on December 27, 2016, 11:05:10 PM
The 50As are costing some big dollars when you can find them at all, supply and demand I guess, if my recollections are correct I've seen them few years back for $15-20 on the net, now in decent condition it will set you back $75-100 ....they are a sweet looking and working reel tho..

Paul

I've seldom seen a 50A sell for less than $45-50 in the last 10 years unless they were well used and beat. Even then they still seem to bring around $40. They're a compact little reel with a big following. Zangi also produced the Pelican 50 and Mascotte, which were the same reel, just with a different name. A similar sized reel with a slightly different body style is the Zangi Atom, which was basically the same reel as the Ted Williams 300, Pescador 300, True Temper 311, Herters 83 and similar sized but slightly different styled Ted Williams 310 and Ted Williams MPU 350. People seem to like them because they are petite and easy to maintain and work on. Parts, though, are a bear-cat to find when needed.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

SilverRidge

$45-50 that would be poor condition, maybe even spare parts, I saw one on EvilBay other day was in rotten condition and I mean rotten, person wanted $89 for it like they say on the NFL football show " come on man"
;D  ;D  ;D
Paul

Midway Tommy

If it's a BIN there's generally a reason, because it's an overpriced wishin' & hopin' scenario. Stick with the ones only in a true auction format starting @ $9.99 to find out what they're real value is.

Here's a few recent sales for comparison. There's a few in the $45-65 range, one just has to be patient. The greens are sold's and they're prices all over the place. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=orvis+50A&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&LH_Complete=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=68028&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_salic=1&_sop=1&_dmd=1&_ipg=50
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

SilverRidge

Midway Tommy, yes I saw it on EvilBay ( that's what I call eBay ) it sold for $45 and I blew the photo up and it was beat, did you happened to notice the price range on others, $75-$150 some where in really nice condition tho, like you said one has to sit back and be patient pick your spots ..I've got an eye out for one, I'm into ultralight tackle, Banty rods, graphite and cane, reels like the Daiwa 500C, 700C, 1000C etc etc ...

Happy New Year

Paul