Wood Senator?

Started by steelhead_killer, December 30, 2016, 09:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Janssen

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

STRIPER LOU

Alto Mare

The reel is fully functional, made from olive tree from Sardegna.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tightlines667

Wow!

Thats pretty cool. 

I wish my grandpa was still around.  He would be capable of producing a fully functional wood big game reel. 

He made a pair of grandfather clocks that were entirely made of wood.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Gfish

Where's a olive tree fall in wood hardness spectrum? Seems like it'ed be high up there, esp. if the tree was a real old one.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

Very high on my hardness chart, Greg --

Harder than exotics like South American Ironwood or Purple Heart.

Ends up being expensive because as a permanent crop for fruit production -- it is seldom available in bulk.

Sometimes branches that are trimmed, old diseased trees, storm damaged trees, are available.

The grain can be straight or wavy -- generally interlocking and very dense.

Wood turners love it because of the way it can be worked -- and how well projects turn out -- for decorative items such as pens, plates, bowls, plaques, nameplates, vases, even custom knife scales.

Pieces are not large or straight enough for lumber construction projects.

I use a lot of American Red or White Oak for projects -- and Olive wood is 2.5 times harder than these, and nearly twice as hard as American Walnut.

Best Always,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.