Carbontex Upgrade Help

Started by Gman_WC, April 13, 2011, 04:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gman_WC

I'm getting ready to order up a few sets of Carbontex drags and get settled in for some reel repair next weekend.
As an example Penn 500 listed on the Smooth Drag site,  I see they list 4 drag washers for this reel.
I'm assuming the 4th goes under the main gear?
If so, would this 4th drag washer be the same size as the three inside the gear with metal washer or is it in kit form?
I just scored a nice 501 on FleadBay tonight. I'm guessing that the 500 and 501 drags are the same.
I want to be tuned up for South Bar halibut off ocean beach in the near future when it starts up.  ;D
Thanks in advance for any replys.
-gary

Walnut Creek, CA

Norcal Pescador

Yep. Nope. Yep. ;D

Gary -
The drag set will include the drag washer that goes under the main gear and the three to go inside the main gear. The washer that goes under the main gear has a smaller OD. And the 501 and 500 use the same drag washers. The only difference between the 500 and 501 is the 501 has a narrower spool, stand, and spacer bars.  Good luck on taking a few "buts". 8)
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

slgriffiths

Rob and Gary,
Unrelated question - but aren't halibut a little big for a 501?  I've never fished for them, we don't have them here in New Zealand, but seen them caught on youtube. Seem to be scary big sometimes.
Nice to see you are sorting your reels out before you go fishing, Gary, and good luck!
Simon

akfish

Alaskan halibut are a but big for a 501 or even a 500, but California halibut, a separate species, are not. A big California halibut might go 40 pounds. That's an Alaskan "chicken"; Alaskan halibut often exceed 200 or even 300 pounds...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Gman_WC

That's correct. I've never seen a California much larger than 40 # and on a good day your lucky to see anything over 20# chicken.
Trolled or live baited in the SF bay/delta or outside the golden gate bridge on a nice day when you can drift the north/south bars, or cliff house area. 
I've caught a few Pacific's from shelter cove and Albion, but they only went 80-100# max this far south of where the barn doors party.
-gary
Walnut Creek, CA