Thanks to Bryan Young and The Sharkhunter.

Started by Saaben, January 01, 2017, 11:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saaben

Hey guys. Just wanted to thank the board and you guys for your help with my reel. Hopefully the pix showed up? I landed two, nice for me sharks. The reel performed perfect. Thanks to the Sharkhunter for getting me pointed in the right direction. Thanks to Bryan for excellent reel repair and service. Of course Alan really started it all so just thankful all around. I look to post additional pix of more sharks in the future. I guess it would not be a post from me without a question so I do have one. The second shark took about 20 minutes to reel in. My back was and is still sore. In looking at fishing harnesses I see the Atco two piece model with the board and then a harness you strap around your waist. It looks like a lot of gear to carry and then get on when you hook up. I have the cup model for your waist and was looking at a shoulder harness that I could connect to reel. It looks to be mesh and foam and if I felt I needed it I could just put it on pretty easy. Any thoughts? Thanks again

David Hall

Nicely done.
As far as the harness goes, if it fits you well just harness up before you get bit.

Tightlines667

The back harness is the easiest to move around with, and can be utilized standing, sitting, leaning, etc.  The upper back harness is great for providing additional support, and shines in a fighting chair (particularly when used with a flat seat harness).  For the best, pure standup style fishing, you can not beat a good, properly adjusted bucket (seat) harness married to a heavy, low (upper leg) fighting belt.  This setup allows you to relax, and rest while still putting heavy pressure on the fish.  True standup boat gear usually utilize short rods, w/short butts though.  So I am not sure how this gear would perform with the longer rods often used from the sand?  I would probably go with a good lower back harness, and fighting belt first, then if you feel you need more support, ad a shoulder harness.  A bucket seat/lower belt setup would likely be great for applying heavier pressure, and resting during a prolonged fight, but they can be a bit awkward when the shark gets close and you have to deal with landing the animal.  If you've got a mate to cover this, you may consider the investment.

May want to check with the guys over at SOS on this one though, since I am a boat guy.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Bryan Young

Nice looking sharks you caught.  I'm glad everything worked out for you. I know nothing about harnesses except one that fits you and is properly adjusted will make life easier.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

Nice,
Based on those snake like eyes and smaller dorsal toward the tail. Those look like Lemon Sharks.
They are one mean Hombre when they get bigger. I have seen them stand on their tail and turn to try and bite you.
Nice catches for sure. ;)
As far as a Harness and fighting belt. I have an Aftco Maxforce Bucket Harness and Clarion fighting belt. Top notch gear for the sand.
A shoulder Harness is not my cup of tea. For Land based Shark fishing. You need a Bucket Harness.
You just lean back to put the leverage on a big fish.
Life is Good!

mley1

Good luck fishing,

Marty

oc1

Good catches.

If you put your harness on before a fish picks up the bait it will jinx the whole day and nothing will happen.  It's a scientific fact  :)
-steve

Lowprofile

Nice! Sandbars are fun, especially on light tackle. They'll quickly get annoying though if you fish all winter.

As far as harness, I have an Aftco max force 1X and a custom loose nuts plates built oversize for me.

Lowprofile

Also, I'm assuming your using lighter gear because the 2nd one took so long. A harness won't help much in this situation because you'll be squating your body weight to move the rod and there won't be enough pressure to pull you back up for a reset so you'll just get tired anyways. Work on your form a little and build your core.

Donnyboat

Good catch Saaben, sorry I came in on this a bit late, what size reel did you use, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Saaben

Senator 115. 80lb mono and a Penn Rod. Bryan from the board upgraded washers etc. Thanks for viewing.