Pinion bearing removal - HELP!

Started by Calusa, January 02, 2017, 05:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Calusa

Penn 712 spinning reel. I have it disassembled except the pinion bearing won't pop out of its seat. Rotates perfectly with the pinion gear which is still in the reel. How can I get this bearing out?

steelhead_killer

Penetrating oil soaked over night or longer.  Heat then cold.  Look up bearing removal on this site in the search bar.  There are many different contributions to this common challenge.  Good luck!

Andy
><)))">

foakes

What I do, since this is a painted frame casing and cannot be just soaked without ruining the paint --

One may not need to do all of this -- maybe only part, depending on how badly stuck -- may not be rusted too bad, or at all, since as you said -- it seems to turn well.

Spray the bearing and cup with PB B'laster -- let it set for an hour or so.

Install the pinion hex nut back on to the pinion gear -- slip an open end wrench under the nut -- secure the wrench in a vise -- then pull the frame backwards off of the stuck bearing with both hands.  

This has always worked for me.

Prying may also work against the frame with a wrench or needlenose pliers -- but there is a high danger of ruining the frame.

This is a perfect example of why we recommend greasing the exterior of the bearing -- before assembling.

Won't have this issue next service.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

I use a similar technique as Fred except I slip a box end wrench smaller than the nut onto the worm gear shaft prior to installing the hex nut. I just lay the body on my lap & tap the wrench handle with a little hammer & it usually pops free immediately. Once out, if the bearing is stuck on the shaft I do the reverse by sliding a fender washer larger that the bearing recess in the body over the back of the shaft/tube, make sure the hex nut is at least flush on the threaded end of the shaft or sticking out 1 thread, slip that setup back into the front of the body and tap the nut. I've only had the bearing stuck a couple of times but it has always popped loose immediately.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Bryan Young

I've had some bearings that appeared to be pressed in. Got the life of me the bearing would not come out. The bearing was not damaged so I just left it in, removed the shield and pushed in grease until it was coming out the other side then moved on. Note that I did these in my own reels or only after advising my customer that the bearing could get damaged if removed. If there no rust then most times I would just leave in the bearing.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

foakes

Tommy and Bryan are right on these techniques.

Once I get a pinion and bearing out -- in extreme cases -- if fused together -- they get soaked in -- PB B'laster -- then use a block of wood with a hole drilled -- drop the pinion into the hole with the bearing on top -- put a basket with a rag under the block to catch the pinion as you tap it out with a nylon mallet.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Calusa

Quote from: Midway Tommy on January 02, 2017, 06:37:59 PM
I use a similar technique as Fred except I slip a box end wrench smaller than the nut onto the worm gear shaft prior to installing the hex nut. I just lay the body on my lap & tap the wrench handle with a little hammer & it usually pops free immediately.

Well, well! Following Fred's advice to soak the bearing in PB Blaster fo an hour or so I did the box wrench under the nut thing and voila!

Thanks for all the very helpful advice from guys who know what they're doing - just one more good reason to be a member here.   :)

Midway Tommy

Great! I'm glad it came out fairly easily for you!

Another little application that has worked for me on extremely old reels where the anodizing or paint has withered away and extreme galvanic reaction has taken place as a result of the dissimilar metal contact and where PB or Liquid Wrench won't work, is to prop the reel up on its heel and put a little straight vinegar on top of the bearing/body cavity joint and let it set overnight. It seems vinegar works a little better on galvanic reactions and PB/Liquid Wrench solutions work better on rust & sticky hardened grease, at least in my experience, anyway.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Calusa

handi2

What I do on spinning reels where the pinion and bearing wont come out easily is put the rotor nut back on and secure it (the pinion gear and nut) in a vise. Heat the surrounding area of the reel and use the plastic hammer. After heated 99% of the time it comes out with one tap.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL