RE: Problematic left side spool bearing - Avet SX 5.3:1

Started by Ellis Feibush, April 13, 2011, 11:22:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ellis Feibush

During the last outing using my Avet SX 5.3:1 reel, I heard this terrible sound from my Avet SX reel, which also created a louder noise as it resonated with the rod. This sort of grinding noise only happened in free spool. When the lever was moved to the "bait" or "strike" position the sound disappeared.
When I called Avet their Customer Svc. person suggested it might be the plastic clicker gear, part No. SX5.3 - 007. They suggested I sand the plastic gear down with very fine sandpaper. I noticed no grinding marks near the clicker mechanism. The next suggestion was a faulty (read - Totally DRY) left side spool bearing - SX5.3-007. Avet suggested placing the bearing in a plastic prescription bottle and squirting some WD-40 in the bottle and shaking it up. They suggested to inspect the fluid while the bearing was in the amber colored pill container. The fluid appeared to be very clear with no added particles or coloring. I then removed the bearing, blew out the remaining fluid in the bearing and added a couple drops of Reel X. Mounted the reel, put the drag lever in complete free spool. Absolute quiet, I mean no noise at all when I pulled out line in free spool. Grinding noise gone. I suspect that bearing was bone dry.
Two questions: has anyone else had this problem with Avet reels and also, does this appear to be a temporary fix or should renewal of this bearing have been done another way? Any responses much appreciated.