Orvis 150S

Started by sharkman, January 02, 2017, 11:04:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkman

I have a binding spot that I can't figure out. Completely disassembled reel two times. Cleaned and greased everything. Honed bushings. Cleaned and packed bearing. The spool will turn freely without main gear and main gear turns smoothly without pinion. But as soon as you assemble have a binding point. If you spin fast seems smoother. Couldn't find any bind in spool shaft. Anybody have any ideas

foakes

Hi Sharkman --

Frustrating sometimes.

This is a high quality medium to small salt water spinner made in Italy for Orvis.

Very good reel.

If it were on my bench, the first thing I would do is try to determine if it is a binding issue, gear meshing issue, or rubbing issue, and where this might be coming from.

Is it a regular catch or random?

Does it happen at a consistent crank position?

Does it happen when the spool is at full extension, or full back travel?

Take out the spool, spool shaft, and oscillation arm -- then operate the reel without these.  If the issue is gone, then either the spool shaft, spool, or oscillation arm are the culprit.  And this can be narrowed down easily enough.

If the catch is still there, then it could be one of the gears, or the oscillating arm not placed right.

Or a screw not fully seated.

But these things will hopefully isolate the issue for you.

Was it working fine before you tore it down, or not?

Best Regards,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Those things can be a little temperamental at times and it really gets annoying having to take them back apart and start all over again.

They are really a pretty straight forward and simple reel design with only a couple of attachment issue possibilities. I can't add much to what Fred already suggested other than double check the oscillating arm set screw pin through the main shaft and make sure it's threaded in correctly & completely and double check the oscillation arm attachment screw into the main gear to make sure it is in all the way and the shoulder isn't binding on the arm. Sometimes there's a spacer shim between the arm and the main gear to help keep the arm oscillating smoothly. If so make sure it didn't get installed between the arm and screw head. Other than those two culprits you might want to double check the double nuts on the main gear next to the crank. I have seen them create similar issues if not tightened and adjusted properly. It can cause a bind between the main and worm gears at times if the main gear isn't positioned properly on the worm gear. There's a real fine line between too tight and too much slack and sideways movement in the main gear shaft. An eighth of a turn in either direction on the inside nut can make all the difference in the world, and once set correctly, make sure tightening the outer nut doesn't move the inner nut. Adjusting them correctly is difficult, at best, without a pair of correct spanner wrenches.         
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

sharkman

Thank you for the replies guys. I will definitely try all the recommendations and let you know outcomes. Foakes the catch does seem to be regular and at a specific crank position, did not pay attention to spool location I will check. The reel was binding when I purchased. The reel was really dirty and gummed up. I though after a good cleaning and greasing it would surely fix the problem, but really didn't affect the catch.

foakes

If you exhaust all methods, sharkman --

Send it off to me, and I will try and fix it -- No Charge.

Then report my findings if successful -- never found one yet that could not be repaired.

The best way to learn is by doing -- and I am sure you will figure it out -- but if you get tired of trying -- the offer stands.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

sharkman

sharkman

Good and bad news. It is not the main gear or pinion. The problem is the arm. The arm looks a little bent and there is no spacer or washer under it. Now have to try to straighten the arm or try to locate arm and spacer.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: sharkman on January 04, 2017, 03:26:19 AM
Good and bad news. It is not the main gear or pinion. The problem is the arm. The arm looks a little bent and there is no spacer or washer under it. Now have to try to straighten the arm or try to locate arm and spacer.

If you find or make a shim washer make sure the shoulder on the screw between the arm and main gear will accommodate its thickness. Also, make sure the hole in the shim washer is bigger than the shoulder on the screw.

I'm sure you know this already but that screw is a reverse thread.  
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Quote from: sharkman on January 04, 2017, 03:26:19 AM

Those connecting or oscillation arms are typically made of a softer metal such as brass, bronze, or a galvanized alloy.

In another words -- easy to straighten out and work over if needed.

If I was doing the job, I would look at the arm from all angles with a metal straightedge -- to determine exactly where a bend or distortion may be.

Then with a flat piece of 1/2" SS or similar as an anvil -- just work it over carefully by tapping with a small hammer -- until you are satisfied it is straight.

Then flat-lap the arm at slow speed on a belt sander with fine grit -- around 400.  This will help to Plumb the piece flatter -- and make it a couple of Mils thinner.

Finish off with a wire wheel to take care of any edge burrs.

Then clean and polish with Nevr-Dull.

As for shims -- they are typically made of brass or copper.  I have hundreds, and can send you a few in the mail at no charge -- if you know the ID & OD that would work.

If you have isolated the issue -- this should take care of it.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

sharkman

Thank you so very much. I work on arm and reinstalled now the reel works perfectly.