Stuffed Squid

Started by bluefish69, January 05, 2017, 05:08:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluefish69

Someone asked me for this before I got sick & didn't log on for a few weeks.

I like 3-5" Squid they are tender & cook faster than the big ones.
5# of cleaned Squid
2 - Loafs of Semolina Bread put in a Food Processor
3-4 Cloves of Garlic put in a Garlic Press
1/2 cup of Parm. Regie Cheese NOT THE GREEN CAN
1/4 cup Parsley
2 - Tbs. Oregano Dried or fresh
1/4 Tspoons of Red Pepper Flakes
S & P to taste
Chicken Stock or Broth

Put 1/2 the Heads in the food processor & chopped fine. Put the rest of the heads in the Sauce
Mix Bread & everything in a bowl except whole Squid
Moisten Mixture with Chicken Stock till it clumps when squeezed
Only fill Squid 1/2 way or they split open & close wit Tooth Pick

Cook for 1- 1 1/2hours in your Sauce or Gravy what ever you call it

Any Questions I'm here a few times a day

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

David Hall

I'm gonna try this one.  Sounds delicious.

ChileRelleno

Sounds good to me, definitely will try it out.
Been hankering for some Seafood Stuffed Manicotti and this sounds even better.

QuoteMix Bread & everything in a bowl except whole Squid
I take it that the stuffing uses all the ingredients listed.

So is the unspecified sauce supposed to be a standard red marinara sauce, white cream, or chef's choice?

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Alto Mare

Cool Mike, we have the same.  I'm guessing that would be fresh italian parsley correct? That, along with freshly grated parmigiano reggiano and garlic makes it. We don't do oregano on this one though, but it's a matter of taste. Love this dish.

John, ours is made with red marinara sauce, but I'm sure you could do as you like and still be tasty.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

bluefish69

Quote from: ChileRelleno on January 05, 2017, 10:13:44 PM
Sounds good to me, definitely will try it out.
Been hankering for some Seafood Stuffed Manicotti and this sounds even better.

QuoteMix Bread & everything in a bowl except whole Squid
I take it that the stuffing uses all the ingredients listed.

So is the unspecified sauce supposed to be a standard red marinara sauce, white cream, or chef's choice?

Marinara Sauce is the TOP Choice for this. We used 2-90oz cans of Cento San Marsano Tomatoes & 1 can of Tomato Paste to get a thick Sauce before adding the Squid.

Not ALL the Stock

Yes for all ingredients except the Stock 

bluefish69

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 05, 2017, 10:36:28 PM
Cool Mike, we have the same.  I'm guessing that would be fresh italian parsley correct? That, along with freshly grated parmigiano reggiano and garlic makes it. We don't do oregano on this one though, but it's a matter of taste. Love this dish.

John, ours is made with red marinara sauce, but I'm sure you could do as you like and still be tasty.

Sal -- There is only 1 kind of Parsley as far as we are concerned Italian Parsley.

Big Tim

OK I like this recipe..I need pictures to follow though  ;D Somewhere I heard it was taboo to add cheese to fish?

BT

Alto Mare

Quote from: bluefish69 on January 06, 2017, 12:30:39 AM
Quote from: Alto Mare on January 05, 2017, 10:36:28 PM

Sal -- There is only 1 kind of Parsley as far as we are concerned Italian Parsley.
Yup! but it needs to be fresh, dry has no taste.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

MarkT

"Put 1/2 the Heads in the food processor & chopped fine. Put the rest of the heads in the Sauce"

Heads?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Dominick

Quote from: MarkT on January 06, 2017, 01:31:21 AM
"Put 1/2 the Heads in the food processor & chopped fine. Put the rest of the heads in the Sauce"

Heads?
He means the tentacles.  I grind several whole squids and reattach the tentacles with the toothpick that closes the end.  Yes it is a basic marinara gravy cooked until really thick.  Then place the squids in the thick gravy.  The moisture from the Squid brings the marinara back to a moist consistency.  Then cook until reduced to your preferred consistency.  This is one great dish.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

sdlehr

Nice recipe, but mostly I'm glad you're feeling better and on the mend.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

bluefish69

Dominick

Thanks for the translation to West Coast English. People can call them anything they like but Squid Heads are Heads no mater which end you put them on.

Sid

Thanks for the WELL WISHES. It was all in my Throat but Coffee still went down the Throat.

Mike

ChileRelleno

:D  LMAO
Told the family what I was planning to cook for dinner and they shut me down.
Now what gets me is that they devour Fried Calamari Rings like french fries, but I get all the heads/tentacles.
But for whatever reason they steadfastly refuse to eat it prepared any other way.
Sigh  ::)

So regulated to a Pot Roast tonight.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

bluefish69

My Grand Daughter & Wife won't eat the Stuffed Squid either. My Wife will eat the Sauce but the Grand Daughter has to take the Sauce from the pot before the Squid goes in the pot.

I don't care ----- More for ME

Mike