Daiwa x50HV upgrade ?...

Started by LetItFly, April 14, 2011, 01:32:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LetItFly

If I have a Sealine X-50HV what do you guys suggest I do to it. It's still stock got for free from my grandpa and wanted to fix it up. It's still in excellent condition for an older reel, so I just wanted to know parts numbers and other stuff to upgrade? Thank you

Bryan Young

drags upgrade will do the reel good.  I don't know the size though.  If someone here doesn't, you can pull out the drag washers and measure them and match them up to the HT-100 or carbontex list.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

LetItFly

Thanks for the advice! What would be a better drag to get?

Bryan Young

greased carbon drags, either HT-100 or Carbontex, will be very similar in performance.   HT-100s are cheaper if cost is an issue.  Carbontex is thinner, if you need thinner washers, but the cost is higher.

When all is said and done, it's really a matter of size and thickness.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

LetItFly

Ok you can't out a price I guess in performance... Could be the matter of landing a fish or losing a fish haha. But since I don't plan on fishing all my friends reels then I guess I could get the thinner ones.

Ok now how does the thickness impact the drag? You said one is thicker and one is thinner, so what's yhe difference? Sorry for all the questions, I just wanna learn as much as I can.

Thank you

alantani

you can get a carbontex set of drag washers at http://smoothdrag.com/price.html and order some drag grease while you are at it.  you can hobble a set of penn drag washers together and they will work just fine, but the carbontex washers will drop right in, no muss, no fuss.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

LetItFly

So do I just let them know what I have and they should be able to know the part or is there something else I need to do.... If I gotta measure it how should I do that

alantani

the smoothdrag.com lady should be able to match up a drag set to your reel very easily.  just give her a call.

LetItFly

Alright , thanks Bryan and Alan. I give it a shot and probably order some cals grease through them. If thats the right one to use for the drags.?

alantani

LetItFly

Can you u use cals grease on other stuffs besides drags?

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: LetItFly on April 15, 2011, 08:02:50 PM
Can you u use cals grease on other stuffs besides drags?

Absolutely. Gears, bearings, metal-metal contact points, corrosion prevention, anti-sieze, etc. That's the only grease some shops use.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

LetItFly

Alrigt well picked up couple carbontex drag washers today for three reels and a small tub of cals grease. Just little bit haha. Mainly only for my drags.. I plan on using yamaha grease on all gears and internal parts. Just need to get the yamaha grease. Where do they sell that?

Norcal Pescador

Yamaha dealers and I believe online from Yamaha. Make sure you specify the "Marine" grease (in the 14 ounce tube).
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Alto Mare

Good luck with that one, the Yamaha dealer my way had everything but the marine grease. You could buy it on line for around $6 but be ready to pay double that for shipping.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.