Ultimate Upgrades Newell 338

Started by Newell Nut, January 06, 2017, 12:41:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

I have had most of the parts for a while and the final piece arrived today so was excited to finally get it completed. Since it had a metal clicker then I needed the P jack lever to make it complete. The only problem that I experienced was the fact that I could not assemble it with a standard Newell Belleville. The cutout in the side plate was too small in OD. Luckily I had one of the old P series drag spacers that has the flange on one side and it fit perfectly and I had room for a delrin between it and the drag stack. Spacing on the outside was such that no need for the normal 3-18 washer under the star. Used one of Adam's stars and I had a new P 338 spool stashed away along with a new late model P handle.

The Pros are very strong feeling, very smooth operation, looks really beasty for a 338 and it sports a set of Alan's 3.6 gears with a 5 stack drag.

Cons: Trying to decide whether to fish it or keep it on my desk.  ??? ???

reel man

Very nice looking reel you have there, so now you must make the decision to either fish it, or just admire it.  Hell, take it fishing, that's what it was made for.

STRIPER LOU

Nicely done Dwight. She's a beauty. What kind of custom rod will you be pairing it with? I'm sure it will be an awesome combo whatever you decide.

Thanks for sharing and have a great evening,  ..  Lou

Newell Nut

I have a new Hercules 8 foot 30-60 with an old G 338 on it. I do have a Devious Red Hercules 30-60 that they do not make anymore that needs to be built. The Hercules 30-60 is perfect for a 300 Newell.

Alto Mare

Nice reel Dwight, it will look even better with one of your custom stick.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

steelfish

beautiful reel amigo

too dang sexy to fish
The Baja Guy

Bryan Young

Dwight, that is one sweet reel.

I will have a demo reel or two on board our SOA trip for people to use.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Newell Nut

Another very positive item is the tight tolerance between the spool and frame. No way to get a piece of mono from a bird nest in that little space.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Newell Nut on January 06, 2017, 02:54:39 AM
Another very positive item is the tight tolerance between the spool and frame. No way to get a piece of mono from a bird nest in that little space.
I would say it's pretty tight that you not likely get 50# braid between the spool and the side plates.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Newell Nut

Quote from: reel man on January 06, 2017, 12:51:33 AM
Very nice looking reel you have there, so now you must make the decision to either fish it, or just admire it.  Hell, take it fishing, that's what it was made for.

Thanks for the reality check. It will get fished soon and mounted on a Hercules 30-60 with silver Alps Centra Lock seat and Alps Titanium guides. To make this little tank all that it can be I will have to swap out the bridge. My old reliable G338 has a double dog bridge in it. I have never seen a single dog failure but with doubles I will never worry about and it and will match the power of the 540 3.2s. As soon as the 500 plates are ready I will have a 533 3.2 to match. A dynamic duo that will last till my final fishing days.

Dwight

Yogi_fish808

The best choice is always to take it fishing at least once in a while! Very nice 338, you went for the best with the p series parts. Bring it with you to fish Kahala beach the next time you're in HI. Shoot me a pm and we can definitely go for some papio/oios while you're here.

Newell Nut

Got the reel spooled this morning and was surprised. Due to the shape of the aluminum spool I was sure it would hold more than a graphite spool and it did. The published capacity at full spool is 380 yds of 30. I got 350 yds of 40 Momoi with room to spare for at least another 50. Nice surprise.

Dwight

Puhi

Quote from: Newell Nut on January 07, 2017, 01:52:52 PM
Quote from: reel man on January 06, 2017, 12:51:33 AM

Thanks for the reality check. It will get fished soon and mounted on a Hercules 30-60 with silver Alps Centra Lock seat and Alps Titanium guides. To make this little tank all that it can be I will have to swap out the bridge. My old reliable G338 has a double dog bridge in it. I have never seen a single dog failure but with doubles I will never worry about and it and will match the power of the 540 3.2s. As soon as the 500 plates are ready I will have a 533 3.2 to match. A dynamic duo that will last till my final fishing days.

Dwight

So are the 400/500 plates in the works?

Bryan Young

Puhi,

Still working on the design.