Manitou

Started by The Great Maudu, January 07, 2017, 06:48:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Great Maudu

Here's one I'm looking at. Made by Montague I believe. No idea on value. Anyone have any idea what they would pay for one of these?

oc1

Dang.  That's one of the prettiest reels I've ever seen.  So far out of my price range that I couldn't even guess.
-steve

Tightlines667

Cool reel.

I would say it is worth $4.95*
*As indicated in this advertisement from 1934

That's about $90 in today's money.  Seeing as how it is used, maybe ~$45?  Then again it is a Monty... that devalues it a bit.  Then again, this is only like the second one to show up in recent times so maybe more?  In other words, I have no idea $40- $100 range.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/311264285776
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

oc1

The aesthetics are A+ to me.  Not something to fish with, but if I had a nice shelf to put it on and I wanted something to catch the attention of visitors who are bewildered by why-in-the-heck there are so many fishing reels here, that's the one I'd get.  I'll bump the bid up to........

Thank you John.  Hibbad, Spencer, Bartlett & Co. (whoever they were) did a really good job of describing their reels in that advert.  But, they say the Manitou inserts are hard rubber.  That would mean that the swirly green one is a year or so later because it has bakelite or catalin inserts, or it would mean they could make just about anything they wanted out of hard rubber back then.  I'm guessing the former.  Since the Flash and the Cruiser in the same advert already had bakelite, 1934 must have been right at the cusp of the change-over from rubber to bakelite.
-steve

Gfish

COOL! Surprising how that leather survives intact for so long. Gotta old Mohawk with a wooden cast controler/drag like that.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Midway Tommy

It's clearly not a "one-off". The patina is kinda cool but a well kept specimen looks amazing. http://reeltalk.orcaonline.org/viewtopic.php?t=14258#p63980
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

The Great Maudu

I passed on it. If it had the crank knobs I would have bought it.

oc1

I'm less enchanted now.  After seeing the ORCA photos I realized the patina was not honestly earned.  Someone spent a lot of time getting the remnants of the plating off.
-steve

Penn Chronology

No doubt a Monty stand. I believe the rest of the reel is sort of alien. What I would have done is bought it, added a set of Penn handle knobs, sent it to Ted for restoration and polishing and then pictured it here.

The Great Maudu

Thank you. I have a lot to learn.