Senator 9/0 newbie ????s

Started by 4x4man514, January 10, 2017, 02:48:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x4man514

Hi y'all, I have a couple of senator 9/0s that I'm trying to set up to do some high speed wahoo trolling. I think ultimately I'll end up getting some tiagra two speeds but right now it's just not in the budget. I've been looking around here at some of the threads and seen one where Alan recommends a simple cleaning and a drag upgrade. I've even been to one of the parts stores online. My problem is there are sooooo many parts and numbers I don't know which one I need. It's quite overwhelming. Can anyone give me some help with exact part numbers and sources to buy from? Whatever I need for the drag upgrade, drag lube, and other lube or parts I need for the upgrade.

Thank you so much for your help
Kevin

foakes

Scott's, Smooth Drag, Bryan, Adam, Cal's drag grease.

You won't need part numbers since these are non-factory upgrades.

You can probably fill your grocery list with these 5 -- without breaking the bank -- and a couple of these may have eferything you need --

There is plenty of help here for anything you might need.

Best & Welcome!

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

4x4man514

Thank you Fred,

So maybe it's not as difficult as I had originally thought.

I've never been into one of these reels but I've rebuilt engines so I'm thinking I can figure it out. But is it difficult for a first timer? Or are there special tools I will need?

Thanks again

Shark Hunter

This is a stock drag kit.
I would look inside first. It might already be in there.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/6-114HSP.aspx
The only other item would be some Cal's Grease for the drag washers.
https://www.mysticparts.com/LubesCleaners/Cals2Speed/T1oz.aspx

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Life is Good!

foakes

Only special tool would be a Penn handle wrench for the crank nut.

If you don't have one -- let me know, and I will send you one at N/C.

After you are on here for awhile and do a tutorial -- Alan may send you a really special custom wrench.

Everything else is just screwdrivers, etc..

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

4x4man514

Thanks a bunch guys! The nut wasn't too tight so I got it off with an adjustable wrench.

So you are saying that stock it should have ten pieces? How many for after market?  So far I've gotten 7 pieces out and can see another of the fiber looking discs in there. Having a tough time getting that one out. It doesn't look like there is too much more in there though.

Thanks again guys!

4x4man514

Ok so I got all of them out. There appears to be 4 metal washers, 3 fiber washers, and one felt washer. So I'm guessing that is stock? What is the drag set up I need to go with? Thanks guys.

Bryan Young

You have the really OLD 3-stack drag washer set-up. You could go with a 5-stack from MysticParts.com or my 7-stack kit. Depending on what you are fishing for, the 5-stack is sufficient and good for about 25# of drag. Plenty of drag for most if it all applications. If you want or need a little more, I have my 7-stack food for about 35# of drag max (I'd say more like a comfortable 30# of drag).

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

thorhammer

Four-by, what's your 20? Are you gonna pull a planer or the 16 knots high speed? Either way, get Bryan's 7 stack for this application. I used a 9/0 until I went to 80's. If your drags are that old, it is likely you have a steel rather brass main gear. Add the SS gear sleeve and you will have a beast that should handle what you want to do. I set mine with several hundred yards of heavy braid as we let the bombs out a good 250-300 yds at 16 knots to keep them wet, topped by 100-150 feet 130 mono as a shock absorber. The lures we are using weigh 2 lbs or so, so we aren't using trolling leads.

John

4x4man514

Ok cool. Bryan how can I order these 7 stack kits? I don't know how to contact you. And I'm in Augusta ga

Were not pulling planers but big 3-4 pound lures at prolly about 16 knots. Not sure yet we're just getting into this high speed trolling

Thanks for all the help guys!

Bryan Young

Quote from: 4x4man514 on January 10, 2017, 08:39:03 PM
Ok cool. Bryan how can I order these 7 stack kits? I don't know how to contact you. And I'm in Augusta ga

Were not pulling planers but big 3-4 pound lures at prolly about 16 knots. Not sure yet we're just getting into this high speed trolling

Thanks for all the help guys!
I sent you a PM.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

BryanC

Quote from: thorhammer on January 10, 2017, 02:29:29 PM
Four-by, what's your 20? Are you gonna pull a planer or the 16 knots high speed? Either way, get Bryan's 7 stack for this application. I used a 9/0 until I went to 80's. If your drags are that old, it is likely you have a steel rather brass main gear. Add the SS gear sleeve and you will have a beast that should handle what you want to do. I set mine with several hundred yards of heavy braid as we let the bombs out a good 250-300 yds at 16 knots to keep them wet, topped by 100-150 feet 130 mono as a shock absorber. The lures we are using weigh 2 lbs or so, so we aren't using trolling leads.

John

I'm kind of going off topic here, but I'm curious about high speed trolling with heavy lures and a 9/0 (or any star drag reel for that matter).  Specifically, I'm wondering about feeding the lure back and putting the reel in gear.  I can't imagine slamming a reel into gear with a heavy lure ripping line out at 16 knots on a star drag reel set at 15-20 lb of drag (which I imagine is needed to hold the lure when trolling that fast).  Do you back the drag down when letting line out to prevent the pinion from getting damaged when putting the reel into gear?  Or do you back the drag way down and let line out with the reel in gear, and then just crank down the drag star when it is back far enough?

Three se7ens

If you need more drag than Bryans kits, my insert drag kit maxes out around 65-70 lbs, and stays very smooth past 35 lbs of drag.  Sal tested them here.  I still have a few kits left, PM me if youre interested. 

Shark Hunter

I built a reel 9/0 specifically for trolling wahoo for Ryan.
Here is the thread.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=17029.0
Life is Good!

4x4man514

Hey three se7ens, I sent you a pm about your drag kit.