Senator 9/0 newbie ????s

Started by 4x4man514, January 10, 2017, 02:48:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalAngler

A 9/0 for wahoo? IMO that's way over kill. A standard 113H, maybe with upgraded drags should handle the hoo's easily, of course that's depending what you drag for lures. I have seen people catch and I have pulled on wahoo caught on way smaller reels than a 9/0 but if that is what works in your area that's cool.

Why such a big reel for fish that don't fight that hard, just wondering?

Three se7ens

If its east coast style high speed trolling, you are looking at 10-15 lbs of drag just to keep the lure from pulling line, and 25+ lbs to winch the fish in if the boat wont slow.  And you still need enough capacity to handle runs from the fish.  From what Ive seen, the minimum recommended reel is a 50 size for high speed wahoo trolling here, with most preferring an 80 or 80w. 

SoCalAngler

I get it on the East coast if you hook a wahoo the boat wont stop. Who cares if there is other fish in the school?

Granted most wahoo don't school in big numbers or by the time you hook a fish the school has not moved, but can't they wait to see if more fish can be hooked on bait?

Don't get me wrong, what works for the area you fish is fine. But, if the boat tried anything like that here on the left coast they would not have many riders. "We hooked a fish but we are not stopping, sorry" would not fly here....lol

I'm sure private boat fishing is different there. Looking to drag lures all day is fine, but if you have a hook up and the boat wont stop, what the heck?

I only troll around 12-14 knots for the hoo so I'm sure that plays a roll. Still IMO a 9/0 is not needed here, but there is more than one way to catch fish.

Benni3

Quote from: Three se7ens on February 17, 2017, 03:15:58 AM
If its east coast style high speed trolling, you are looking at 10-15 lbs of drag just to keep the lure from pulling line, and 25+ lbs to winch the fish in if the boat wont slow.  And you still need enough capacity to handle runs from the fish.  From what Ive seen, the minimum recommended reel is a 50 size for high speed wahoo trolling here, with most preferring an 80 or 80w. 
x2 and you dont know what your going to hook

Benni3

Quote from: SoCalAngler on February 17, 2017, 03:43:33 AM
I get it on the East coast if you hook a wahoo the boat wont stop. Who cares if there is other fish in the school?

Granted most wahoo don't school in big numbers or by the time you hook a fish the school has not moved, but can't they wait to see if more fish can be hooked on bait?

Don't get me wrong, what works for the area you fish is fine. But, if the boat tried anything like that here on the left coast they would not have many riders. "We hooked a fish but we are not stopping, sorry" would not fly here....lol

I'm sure private boat fishing is different there. Looking to drag lures all day is fine, but if you have a hook up and the boat wont stop, what the heck?

I only troll around 12-14 knots for the hoo so I'm sure that plays a roll. Still IMO a 9/0 is not needed here, but there is more than one way to catch fish.
a really fun day fishing with my dad at the lake

4x4man514

Sorry for the late reply I just saw this latest post. We do drag at least 4 to 5 pounds of weight around plus really big lures. All at 15 to 25 knots. My last trip we had one with about 28 to 30 pounds of drag on it and it wouldn't hold past 8 to 10 knots. Steadily creeping line off.  So we're having to step it up a notch. As for the not stopping when we have a fish, that's more because with the heavy weights and long leaders, any slack and hoos will shake off.