Penn 50? Double drag

Started by locknut, December 29, 2016, 11:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

locknut

Hi guys I am on holiday in Fiji, last time I was here I took home a couple of basket case Penns to try and sort out. I striped them down and purchased parts from Scotts and am now back in the islands trying to put them back together. What is making it harder than it needs to be is that one of the reels is a mongrel made up from different models. The bridge has 50TW International ll the reel is two speed and has  twin drag washers. This is not something I can find anywhere. The issue I am having is how to fit the #41 spring in place.
The other reel is a single speed 50 International it also has a #41 spring but they are different lengths any idea which reel would use which spring.
Thanks in advance
Jeremy

mizmo67

Hi,

If the 50TW is 2speed than it had the conversion done, possibly by http://www.Cals2Speed.com but there might be other folks out there that did it.
Cal's might be able to help you get the right parts for it.

The normal, single speed 50TW uses
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/41-50.aspx
But...the two speeding process might have changed that!
A 50SW 2 speed penn useas the same 41-50S listed below, so it might be that one?
Sorry, we don't have any 2speed conversion part info here.

The 50 international uses a
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/41-50S.aspx
which can also be subbed to a 41-40 in a pinch if you can't lay hands on the 41-50S.
There are photos with rulers to see sizing.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Tightlines667

I would expect the twin drag, 2-speed to use the heavier, shorter 41-50S spring, and the standard single speed to use the lighter, longer 41-40 drag spring.

If you have pictures of the 2 springs side-by-side (or length measurements (in inches) we should be able to determine which of the three (41-40,41-50,41-50S) you have now.
Presumably your reels were working with the 2 you have.  We should be able to tell which of the 2 belongs in the single speed.  Then the other one should be the one that works in the 2 speed.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

locknut

Thank you for your responses I will try and upload a couple of photos of the drag assemblies. Yes both reels were in one piece when I wwe was given them but definitely not operational. I am not a Penn owner so this has been an interesting exercise.

Tightlines667

If you are unable to get the reels sorted, I would be happy to take a look.  I routinely service reels from Guam, Fiji, and American Samoa and am based in Honolulu.  We also have an AT member familar with tye Internationals in Fiji.  LMK if I can help.

John
Hope springs eternal

locknut

The gap between the plate and the drag is 1/4 for the older 50 and 3/8 for the twin drag reel. The amount of pressure to compress the drag to get the cover on and screwed down is considerable. I really don't know how it was assembled. But I feel the spring is too long, I have noted the length from one of your answers and will probably trim it down. As you can see there are plnety of other basket cases still to go if its economically worth while given the cost of parts.

locknut

Sorry all the photos are upside down. Maybe its because I'm in the Southern hemisphere. I will try again.

locknut

Thanks

Tightlines667

Those look like alot of the old workhorses I have restored.  Be careful on parts costs.. they can escalate quickly.

Looks like the spring pictured is a 41-50, and the reel should have a 41-50S.  

A 41-40 was used on the older style donute style double drag reels.

Now that 41-50 should work fine on your single speed, single drag, wide reel.

Looks like the twin drag reel has the newest Duradrag washers/plates, while the single drag reel is using a 3rd gen washer, screwed to the plate.
Hope springs eternal

locknut

Thanks John I will go ahead and cut the spring down to the shorter length and see how it goes. The drag on the single speed was in perfect condition the two speed ones were stuffed with salt corrosion causing high spots so I stripped them down and cut new washers from carbon fibre sheet and epoxied the on the cups. Thanks for all your advise also Maureen I finally used the parts I purchased off you a few months ago.

mizmo67

Quote from: Tightlines666 on December 30, 2016, 10:48:31 PM
Looks like the spring pictured is a 41-50, and the reel should have a 41-50S.  

I agree it's a 41-50
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com