Question about International side plates

Started by ReelFishingProblems, January 23, 2017, 01:11:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReelFishingProblems

Hello,

What is the bronze part in the sideplate called where the eccentric cam fits in?

Is there an easy way to remove it? JDL treasures had a good deal on a side plate that didn't have stripped out screw holes or broken off screws (like mine) but doesn't have this bronze part so I will need to transplant it from the old side plate. Currently it is soaking in corrosion X

Thank you,

Nick

FatTuna

Provided you can get the screws out and corrosion isn't bad, you can swap that part. I've pulled it out before.

ReelFishingProblems

The screws came out but the corrosion is pretty bad. Is there a good method for getting it out of it's not overly corroded?

Tightlines667

Quote from: ReelFishingProblems on January 23, 2017, 10:49:29 PM
The screws came out but the corrosion is pretty bad. Is there a good method for getting it out of it's not overly corroded?

I use an arbor press with a large hardened socket to support the aluminum.  You could make a jig out of wood, and use a wood doll and a rubber mallet to drive it out.  If you are going to replace the sideplate, just use a piece of wood and a hammer.

This part is typically not available seperate from the headplate.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

ReelFishingProblems

John,

Thank you for the advice, I will hopefully be posting my success shortly

Nick

Tightlines667

No problem.

Be careful not to bend the inner portion of the cam pocket, or the inner edge of the sideplate.  This whole process is easier if the bridge has been removed.  I actually bought my arbor press after destroying a plate, cam pocket, or bridge or two on badly corroded reels.  The press makes quick work of removing a corroded bridge. I usually spray it with a penetrant (50:50 ATF:ACE) and use a torch to heat the metal up first.

Good luck!
Hope springs eternal

thorhammer

John, this is some stuff you should be putting up pics of, if not already. Nice.

Tightlines667

Talked about it here...

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13859.0

And somewheres else?

Maybe here?

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=10116.45

I have actually cut these bridges off before I had the press.  A bridge is cheaper then a plate (barely).

John
Hope springs eternal

ReelFishingProblems

That's a great thread John, and I'll be going back to that a bunch I think. It'll be so nice when this 30TW is restored back to a decent fishing reel.

ReelFishingProblems

Try as I may, soaking in corrosion x, using dental pics in the seam to scrape away corrosion, torch, wooden dowel and hammer, I could not loose the cam housing from the frame. I bought part 125-30 from Mo at Scott's bait and tackle. With a good part on hand I can try more desperate measures to see just how badly the corrosion is between the cam housing and the frame.

Tightlines667

I feel your pain.

You could try to build a jig out of wood and put it in a wide mouthed vise to press it out.  Heat helps.  Otherwise maybe bring it to a machine or automotive shop and see if they can press it out.  I can get it for you if you want to ship it to me. 
Hope springs eternal

Bill B

Try the automatic transmission fluid and acetone (50/50 mix) thats what John was talking about with he ATF:ACE....to loosen the parts before you get too crazy......Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

ReelFishingProblems

I did go crazy... and bought a new cam housing from Scott's B&T. But I will try the ATF & Acetone. You guessed right that I didn't know what the acronyms were for  ;D

Now I'll have a spare