Can someone identyfy this reel?

Started by STRIPER LOU, January 12, 2017, 01:16:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRIPER LOU

Hi All, can someone help identify this reel. Is it a Trade reel?

Says Atlantic Ocean Reel around the outside of the logo and center says No.14, 250YDS. Opposite side shows waffle style clicker and bottom stamped 250Yds which is similar to Penn I think.

Seems to function reasonably well and condition is OK for its age?

Rough year estimate and any value?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best,  ..  Lou

BryanC

It is a Penn #14.  No freespool, no drag, just a straight up knucklebuster.  I believe they were introduced in 1939, and I think that was about the last year Penn used the waffle clicker, so that suggests it is a 1939.  On the other hand, Mike's book mentions that models 14 & 15 were made using old parts stock, so perhaps the waffle clicker went past 1939 with this model.  They were sold as trade reels, and often don't have the Penn logo.  I have a later #14, and mine does say Penn on the headplate.  It is labeled Penn Atlantic #14.

As to the value, I really couldn't venture a guess.  It looks to be in pretty good condition, and if it is in fact a first year model, that may add to the value.  That said, I think they made a lot of them.

mo65

Yep Lou...she's a trade reel alright. Those old Penn 14s and 15s came under a variety of names. Here's the same reel with the Surf Angler name on it. You could get a general value on yours from Mike's book. As Bryan said, they made gazoodles of these, so they are fairly common. Very cool none the less! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Superhook

Striper Lou,

As Bryan C said , that is Penn's first year #14 reel . Penn named it the Atlantic. All other reels based on the #14 and not called the Atlantic were the Trade versions.  Later Penn altered the logo and incorporated the Script text word Penn and #14 Atlantic into the ID.

Ray

Maxed Out

Quote from: mo65 on January 12, 2017, 12:52:10 PM
   Yep Lou...she's a trade reel alright. Those old Penn 14s and 15s came under a variety of names. Here's the same reel with the Surf Angler name on it. You could get a general value on yours from Mike's book. As Bryan said, they made gazoodles of these, so they are fairly common. Very cool none the less! 8)

Mo, yours has a metal collar around the gear sleeve, Lou's has plastic collar. The difference is the metal collar is usually a sign of a pullout freespool. Pull out on handles and it goes into freespool. Lou has no freespool on his trade reel.

Lou, the value is always dependent on the buyer, but $20 is about it on these reels
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

STRIPER LOU

Thanks all, and thanks Ted for giving me a value. So I guess for $9.99 I did ok? Just checked and it was an old Delmar I got for six bucks! Thought it was the Atlantic.
.....................Lou

coastal_dan

Neat reels!  I love these things...

Take note too of the post numbers...the #14 based reels had 3 posts and the #15 based reels had 4.

If you want a matching reel with the 3 posts, keep your eye out for a 'Deep Sea Angler'.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

The Great Maudu

STRIPER LOU

Mike, you don't miss a trick and I'm always impressed on how observant this group is.

On the knobs when completed, I use a coat of airplane wax and finish off with DoDo juice.
The airplane wax has surfactants that will help get into the tiniest of pores and the dodo juice is a finish topcoat wax.

Its probably a part of being a_ _ _  retentive but it works.

Hey, you've been posting up some really classic eye candy lately ... nice stuff!

Have a great day Bud!  ..  Lou