Okuma TG 15 II handle problem

Started by spes, April 16, 2011, 10:25:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spes

Hello,
I went on a cod jigging trip last night. I took the new Makaira and the old TG 15 II.
While clam bait fishing with the TG 15 I hooked up, and I had the handle (right down to spindle showing) start coming apart while reeling. I can't remember but I think I went to hit it into low gear when it started to come off. There was no anti reverse and I reversed reeling direction and the handle wound itself back together. With a low drag setting I was able to get the fish up from 250'.
  I broke the reel down a while back. It was my first time breaking a reel down. I don't know what I missed or more likely caused.

Mike

alantani

mike, i don't know about this one.  you've gotta take it apart again.  you will probably find the answer when you do. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

spes

Opened it up, nothing jumping out at me.

If I remove the outer pinion gear and insert the inner back in the right side

When I crank the handle, pinion gear engages.
If I put my thumb on the pinion gear and crank the handle the pinion gear does not engage and I hear a faint clicking sound from inside the handle

boghy

I've notice that you work on this reel based on the schematics that came along with this reel (at least that what looks like in the background of your posted picture). My suggestion is to take it apart piece by piece and follow the schematics to see if there is anything dirty, rusted or broken. Reels have different issues based on the environment where they've been used. If this would be a common problem with your reel likely you would see a bunch of post about it all over the net - since are none - there must be something specific to your reel. That's way you should approach this issue fallowing your schematics. Of course, if you are not sure about how a part should look like normally, you can take a picture, post it here, and someone will give you an opinion about it.

P.S. One picture is worth more then 1,000 words. Period!
      If you don't have the schematics of your reel  you can get it by sending an email to service@okumafishing.com - they'll give you the schematics and you can follow it.
Don't like my post? Click on the banner below and call me!

Try my self-coded Line Calculator - for line conversions and topshot

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

JGB

Mike,

I'm not to clear on how the handle was coming apart.  If the shaft and the handle were intact and coming out as an assembly then I may be able to help.
Underneath the main gear is a clip (c ring) that hold the shaft in. This may have broken or slipped off. To get at it remove the 4 screws on the plate , remove the plate and slide off the 2 gears. It may help to slide out the  square cross pin (push the shift button in to release it). Next you should see the c ring clip. It sits in a groove and keeps the shaft from sliding out. There may or may not be a shimming washer there also. If the shaft is solid in place the clip may have reseated it's self. If so the question is how did it come loose to begin with. Is it well lubricated or is there salt and any corrosion? If so clean and relube with a blend of grease and corrosionX (thins out the grease). If there is no shim washer between the clip and the side plate put one it. Remove the clip and make sure it is snug and tight if needed replace or bend it closed a bit to tighten it up.

As far as the anti reverse not working. The pic looks ok. If the plastic ring does not have the pins in the dogs strange thing can happen. You have 2 choices - remove the plactic ring  with tabs (disables the silent antireverse) or make sure the tabs are properly engaged in the dogs when assembling the reel. Here is a tip for this - assemble the spool to the right side plate getting the plastic pins in the dogs. temporarily put the spool tension knob on (to hold the spool in place along with the tabs). Assemble the spool/right side plate to the frame.Remove the tension knob and assemble all the exterior part and test silent anti reveres. Trying to get the right side plate on the frame and getting the tabs in the dogs in very difficult and a ramdom process. It is easy to get it wrong and not know it.

Jim N.

spes

Thank you gentlemen,
Yes Alan, that is an Avet schematic on the table. Lol, no I wasn't going buy that one taking the Okuma apart. ???

I will have to take the right side apart and see whats going on in there. When it happened it was like the knob and handle were unscrewing off the reel. There was shaft exposed, and it felt like it had a spring keeping it from falling all the way out. I cranked the handle in the opposite direction to wind the handle back on the reel.
While I can't seem to make that happen again I have no low gear(brain cramp,button in). Anti reverse is working.
I will have to open it up further.
I'm leaving Thursday on a cruise  ;D don;t know if I'll get to it before I depart.

Dominick

Hey Spes:  pack the reel and some tools and greases, oils etc.  Set up a table aboard the ship and work on the reel. ;D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

spes

We do have a balcony on the stern....

GAFF!!!!!