Power Handle

Started by Alto Mare, January 13, 2017, 03:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Today I decided to install the power handle that I purchased from WOTHoyt a little while back. Thanks again Hoyt!
Since all parts came in a ziploc bag, I had no idea how everything went, so I used a  the little common sense that I have.
Here are the parts:

First the keyed piece gets set on the sleeve

Wasn't sure how to tighten the handle screw, I used a pair of needle nose pliers and realized it didn't have to be crazy tight, as long as one of the notch on the screw head  lined up with the pin, so that worked.
Next the cover with the notch for the pin to slides in.

placed the post on the handle arm

lined it up with the pin and sat the E-Clip in place

and here is the installed handle

2 1/4" center to center as shown above and 3 1/4" below

Hoyt, that knob came out almost new, as I was trying to remove  deep scratches. It took one hour of sanding and buffing.
I did it by hand, I learned a valuable lesson in the past while trying to buff Delrin with power tools.

Maybe this could come helpful for someone as myself, that had to guess along the way.
I have a couple of these handles of different design, this one I like a little more, it doesn't wobble as the others do.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cor

A very unusual way of attaching a handle.   Is there a particular benefit to this and is it this the same manner in which the original handle was attached?
My first reaction was that it would have to be an extremely precise fit all, to stop it from wobbling around.
Cornelis

Alto Mare

Quote from: Cor on January 13, 2017, 04:04:46 PM
A very unusual way of attaching a handle.   Is there a particular benefit to this and is it this the same manner in which the original handle was attached?
My first reaction was that it would have to be an extremely precise fit all, to stop it from wobbling around.

Cor, yes to all three.
The supporting plate( I'm not sure what they call it) gets attached the same way as you would the handle, everything else gets mounted to it.
I've seen many power handles, this one I like the most, no movement whatsoever.
This power handle is well designed, of course this is just my opinion. The benefit of having it expand to 3 1/4"  from 2 1/4" is so you could crank it with a little less effort when hooked with a nice fish.
The one you see here was really wobbly, that is why I decided to replace it on the Tank:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=14423.msg192824#msg192824
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

coastal_dan

I bought one of these BNIB on eBay a few weeks back for my 114HLW project and I was ecstatic...but, it may not be meant to be...as the package was showing a 114HL kit, the thread size and 'coupling' that attached to the gear sleeve were for the 113 HL.  The seller has been great on eBay so he is checking one other unit he still has to see if it is the same size.  I like the design a lot, and it is a super sturdy piece of hardware...we shall see.

Booster Crank is the name; the part numbers are BPN-114 and BPN-113.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...