Servicing a Coronado

Started by Alto Mare, January 14, 2017, 05:15:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

A member sent me this reel for service, I had no idea I was getting a Dinosaur ;D

and the cleaned parts

I wasn't aware that the main gear is also brass in these oldies

Benny, the reel works fine,I fixed a few things and gave you new washers.
The spool has a little wobble, not much, but it's there. It's not rubbing though.
I know you want to fish this reel and it would be great to see some pics while you do so, butI recommend you fish it one or twice and put it on a shelf.
I included the original handle in the box so you could put it back when done with it.

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Superhook

An Early 1934 model that used screws and not the complete later pin system to hold the Bakelite head plate to the locking ring...... Scarce

The Great Maudu

One of those is on my to get list. Nice.

Benni3

Now I know what year it is,, and now I can try it out thanks to sal  ;D

Alto Mare

Be careful Benny, some might make you a real nice offer ;D.
By the way, it didn't make it to the P.O., maybe I'll send it out on Monday.
I didn't want to mess with the parts on the exterior, but the inner parts are all cleaned.
I did remove all screws and greased, one feels loose, but it's staying in.
I was going to replace it with a larger screw, but wanted to keep everything original, as I found it.

Now that Ray helped out dating this jewel, I would just place it on a shelf.

Thanks by the way Ray, you sure know what to look for.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Penn Chronology

These are truly rare. Maybe only a half dozen are known.

I feel they were prototypes that may have been sent out as samples. Penn never really produced these in numbers. I suspect they are all hand fitted.

Great Find.

Tightlines667

Benny,

Mike's book lists this model as being worth $50- $100 to the collector.  The 1935 is worth twice that.  I would be willing to take it off of your hands.  Just pm or email me if you are interested in selling.

Otherwise find a nice place on the shelf for it.

John
Hope springs eternal

Swami805

I pick one up a few days ago. A newer version with the take down on the head plate. I'm planning to clean it up tonight watching football   Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

alantani

there needs to be a way that these old brass parts can be stripped of their chrome, then polished, and then re-chromed at a reasonable price.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tightlines667

Quote from: alantani on January 15, 2017, 12:58:59 AM
there needs to be a way that these old brass parts can be stripped of their chrome, then polished, and then re-chromed at a reasonable price.   :-\

They used a slightly different plating process (it was inferior), then modern plating.  The base metal was different too.  It actually accepts the plating better then the metal in most modern reels.  

Not sure if a modern plating job would look period-correct.. it may.

Usually the scarcity of these early reels drives the value.  Having all origional and period-correct parts is important.  I would replace the undergear with an older style, and the washers with old style (leather?), if available (maybe from Fred?).

I have seen a few great reanodizing jobs on some fully restored older Gig Game reels, but most of the earliest Penns I have seen are cleaned up and left.

John
Hope springs eternal

Benni3

Thanks for everybody's help on this reel ,,,great site,,great people,,,great stuff,, :)

Swami805

I know nothing about chrome plating but I knew a guy who plated stuff with gold and silver. It wasn't very complicated and he did it in his home shop. Is chrome plating a similar process? Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Alto Mare

Well, Benny decided that this reel is not for sale, not that it ever was.
I will gently put it back to its original shape and send it back to him.
Since we now have some great info on this reel, here are a couple of additional pics

The left side plate is in great shape

Sal

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!