Need Advice -- How To Make a Spinning Reel Spool?

Started by foakes, January 15, 2017, 08:54:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Good information here.

I must say the Cardinal 4 is my all time favorite spinner.  I should probably pick up a few of these aluminum spools.  

I guess what I was thinking about when Fred first posed the question, was that a new custom aluminum spool with a modified drag chamber to accept a versa drag style system.. would push this reel over the top.

I was also thinking that those bullet proof DAMs would also benefit greatly from a similar system.  

How much more difficult would it be to design and machine a spool or spool (s) and corresponding drag components then just having aluminum spools machined following the stock design?

It seems to me we already have reels available with versa drag style drag components (such as a BTLII5000, etc) that are available that could be used in these reels if a custom spool was designed and fabricated.

Just some thoughts.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

oc1

I only fish in saltwater and am not good at taking care of stuff.  I've never exploded a plastic spool but have come close and know it can be a problem.  I did ruin a couple of aluminum spools though through neglect and corrosion.  A vintage aluminum spool was eaten up very quickly when put on the shelf with wet line.  Now an anodized aluminum spool on a modern Shimano low profile has a corroded hole in the flange.  It's all preventable with proper maintenance of aluminum or the proper backing under plastic.  Give me the plastic one.
-steve

Swami805

In my mind the benefit would be in a better drag system with higher numbers. If the rest of the reel is capable of handling it that in itself would make it worth while. Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Midway Tommy

I think a big thing to keep in mind here, especially in this day and age, is that most of those reels Fred originally mentioned are generally considered freshwater reels, with the exception of maybe the Dam 550, Cardinal 7, Penn 700 & 704 and Mitchell 302, and those reels, at the very best, nowadays, should only be considered light saltwater reel. While extremely well designed and built, they will, and do, have their limitations.  :)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Perfect point, Tommy --

And of all the reels Tommy mentioned -- I might add the 270 Super, 706, and the larger Mitchell's.

But these already have metal spools, along with Cardinals -- with the exception of the Quick 550.

So this is really just baby steps -- although I am dead serious about figuring out a way to produce and market these for the Quicks that currently have plastic spools.

Any of the reels Tommy mentioned can have their drags upgraded because they already have a metal spool -- it is not difficult -- and a good, inexpensive improvement.

For now, we are covered on the others -- we just need aluminum spools for the 14 Quicks -- that I mentioned.

Not anodized in colors -- just plain, polished aluminum for longevity and easy ID as an upgrade.

I just happen to have around 350 complete Quicks & 500 Mitchells -- so that is my focus -- the Quicks.

If this takes off -- and makes sense -- we could add other reels as possible.

For now, with Tom's help, advice, and input -- we will just take a bite out of the Bull -- not eat the whole thing at one time.

Best to All,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Cone

Fred, I'm sure someone with some talent could take a plastic spool and use it to make a sand mold and cast it in aluminum. The reels you are talking about are pretty small so shrinkage would be small on the finished part. You probably wouldn't have to worry about it. You might have to make a core box to make a sand core for the drag washers/shaft. Depending on the quality of the green sand there might not be much to clean up on the casting after shakeout. Just a thought.  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Barishi

BocaSnook1

Midway Tommy

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oldmanjoe

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare