Need Advice -- How To Make a Spinning Reel Spool?

Started by foakes, January 15, 2017, 08:54:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

There is a thought that has been rattling around in my head for awhile now -- and I need some expert help.

Plus, I am sure this is possible on some level -- not sure if feasible though.

Even with the best spinning reels ever made -- with the exception of one that I know of -- they all have at least one or two weak spots that could use improvement.

My passion for spinners and my niche is DAM Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU Cardinals.

These are vintage spinners that IMO are pretty capable, and will out-perform and outlast by decades -- most modern spinners costing hundreds of dollars.

However, as stated -- they all have a weak spot or two -- that if upgraded and improved upon -- would be nearly perfect.

For DAM Quick, some smaller Cardinal's, and a few Mitchells -- the weak spot is the plastic spools and small drags.

If there was a way to manufacture and offer aluminum spools, that would handle braid and CF greased drags -- these would be a 100% upgrade that I would put up against most reels being made today.

I would like to pick your brains as to what would be involved in producing aluminum spools for DAM Quick reels, to start --

Appreciate the thoughts of our members and experts.

Best Always,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Cortez_Conversions

Anything is possible Fred, it's just a matter of demand and cost.
Do you have a sample spool you can send me?
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Tightlines667

I like where this is going. 

:D

Personally, I think there would be a larger market out there for aftermarket aluminum spools with a versa-drag style stack for the Cardinal 4.  Shear numbers sold in the US dictate that there are alot of the reels still in use today. 

Definately worth exploring.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

swill88

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on January 15, 2017, 09:28:54 PM
Anything is possible Fred, it's just a matter of demand and cost.
Do you have a sample spool you can send me?

Tom, does Fred have a sample spool?   ???

Does a bear eat in the woods?    :D

steve

foakes

Thanks, Tom --

The 3 reels you ordered for your personal use will be mailed  to you in a day or two -- I will include an extra reel in 220 size, fully restored -- for you to keep.

Plus a couple of sample spools and sleeves.

John, you have a good point, however --

While there is a demand for the ABU Cardinals -- the reality is that the majority of these are in collections -- are fairly valuable -- and would need to be kept in original condition.

The reason I am starting with DAM Quick is -- There are many more of them out there worldwide -- they are still fairly reasonable to purchase -- and I have around 60,000 NOS parts for them as I do service, restorations, and upgrades for folks and reels I offer to members.

I do not collect reels -- I prefer to keep one or two of each model -- then the rest are restored to fishing condition -- and put out in the world for fishermen who intend to use them.

I would just like to make them as capable as possible -- lifetime reels.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Fred, I think you've underestimated the number of Cardinal 3 & 4 reels, and 6 & 7 for that matter, still in use today. I have 7 Card 4s, 3 Card 3s and 2 Card 6s that I regularly use, and 3 spare Card 4s, 2 spare Card 3s, 1 spare Cardinal 6 and 2 Cardinal 7s sitting there ready to go at any given moment if the need arises. There are a lot of guys that still use them, especially the reels that have a lot of boat rash, because of their extremely high quality and remarkable design with the fulcrum drag adjustment where it's easily accessed out of the way at the back of the body and the drag mechanism inside the body where it's much more protected from the intrusion of dirt, sand and water, not to mention the anti-reverse mechanism with the teeth cut into the pinion rather than using a ratchet gear attached to the main gear assembly. That exceptional design relieves unneeded stress on the main and pinion gear teeth. Besides that, fish can't tell pretty.  ;D

Aluminum spools have been available for about 20 years for the Cardinal 4 and probably 8 to 10 years for the Cardinal 3. American Classic Sales introduced their Classic IV in 1996. All AM Classic IV parts are interchangeable with ABU & Zebco Cardinal 4s and the Classic IV came out with an aluminum spool. For a long time, if you had purchased a Classic IV from AM Classic Sales, you could purchase as many additional spools as wanted. From around 2004 or 5 on they limited extra spools to 3 per reel purchased. Most fishermen that purchased the AM Classic reels were already aware of the superior reel design because they'd had experience with an ABU or Zebco Cardinal 4 and when purchasing the AM Classic IV purchased as many aluminum spools as they could. They were originally $23.00, and $25.00 in 2005 or 6 when they ceased sales. Aluminum spools can be purchased for the Cardinal 3 and 4 for around $38.00 shipped. Interestingly enough, a new plastic Cardinal 4 spool costs about $35.00 shipped.  :o  I have noticed that there have been a few people advertising, and selling, aluminum spools that are actually plastic, not aluminum. I saw a group of 10 Cardinal 3 spools just the other day that were advertised as aluminum but they were plastic. It is easy to tell the difference from photos but the buyer needs to be knowledgeable about what to look for. I think someone, whether it be the buyer, or maybe even the seller, is going to get a surprise on that relatively expensive lot.  ???

I've switched to aluminum spools on all my fishing Cardinals and retired all my plastic Cardinal 3 & 4 spools. I've got over 20 Cardinal 4 and 10 Cardinal 3 aluminum spools for use. The retired plastics are displayed on reels that now only go shelf fishing.  ;)           
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

You and John are absolutely right, about the Cardinals, Tommy --

And they are possibly one of the best and most reliable spinning reels on the planet -- pure simple genius design and proven longevity.  A couple of weak spots, but as mentioned -- even the best reels have a flaw or two.

But in order to see if this is a possibility, I need to start somewhere where a market can be developed.

A Quick reel can be purchased for perhaps $20 to $40, add $30 for service and parts, and $40 for an aluminum spool with CF greased drags -- and you have $80 to $110 invested in a very high quality performing reel + shipping.

There are plenty of Quicks for sale -- and many more just collecting dust in someone's garage -- because it needs a part or two, the grease went stiff, and the spool brokee in half.

The Cardinals will go for generally 2 or 3 times the cost of a Quick.

And only the early Quicks had a metal spool -- and no one has ever made after-market metal spools for these, or the Finessa and "Finessa N" series.

Penns have metal spools, majority of Mitchells have metal spools, even with the demise of Am Classic over 10 years ago -- there are metal spools out there for Cardinals.

It could very well be that folks would use Quicks more -- if metal spools were available.

And we need to start somewhere where there would be a need -- but there is certainly room for metal spools for the Zebco, Cardinals, Mitchells, as well as the Quicks.

My goal would be to introduce folks to a line of quality reels that would use more modern CF greased drags, aluminum spools, modern lubes, be simple and bulletproof in operation, and inexpensive to acquire -- and last for decades if cared for responsibly.

This may all be a pipe dream -- but we will see...

We all have our passions -- and need to develop our niche.  Can't be all things to all people -- and at the end of the day -- we just do our highest and best with what we have.

Is any one manufacturing aluminum spools now for the Cardinals -- if so, do you know who that is?

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Bryan Young

Awe man, Fred has me thinking again...and you know what that means...what comes in, something tends to go out...I would love to design a new spool shaft and for Penn's SS series.  That shaft out of tempered Stainless Steel and a spool with beefier drag system... 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Quote from: Bryan Young on January 16, 2017, 09:05:03 AM
Awe man, Fred has me thinking again...and you know what that means...what comes in, something tends to go out...I would love to design a new spool shaft and for Penn's SS series.  That shaft out of tempered Stainless Steel and a spool with beefier drag system... 
I don't know Bryan, to me the SS spool shaft is one of the best out there :-\.
The way it's designed, as going through the housing and into a bushing at the rer, it's very hard to fail.
The spool is also a good design, especially when using your 5 washers kit.
The only thing I would change on the SS would be the pinion, I would make it in stainless steel, not that the brass pinion fails often, it just gets a little loose where the shaft rides. But this happens after long usage..still functional though.
We already have ss ratchets, ss dogs, your drag kits. I thing we're good with the SS.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Lunker Larry

Fred. I have a quick 330. Are there limitations on the line that can be used on that reel/spool?
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

foakes

Quote from: Lunker Larry on January 16, 2017, 01:35:34 PM
Fred. I have a quick 330. Are there limitations on the line that can be used on that reel/spool?

Really no issues, Larry --

The 330 will accommodate a large range of line and test.

Here is the official line chart from a 330 owners manual --

Frankly, more plastic spools are broken by winding mono on too tightly, leaving the mono on for a few years of non-use, letting the kid at Big 5 see how fast and tightly he can spool your reel with the power winder, or by dropping it one time on the garage floor during service (don't ask why I know this last one so well...).

Metal like aluminum cast or turned -- is just bulletproof, forgiving, and tough in the clinch.

Any reel is only as strong as the frame -- we can over drag, over component, or hot rod to a point where the least speed bump ruins your reel.

However, having said that -- it is like a car -- Red Line on my tachometer may be at 7500 RPMs -- and I have never even approached that -- but if for some unknown reason I needed to -- I would not want to replace my engine. 

Same thing with plastic vs. metal spools, IMO -- forgiving...

One thing that few folks know -- the earlier Quicks all had metal spools -- the 110,220,221,330,331,440,550,110N, 220N, 330N, 331N, 440N, 441N, & 550N...all were plastic.

This was a popular line of Quicks that were produced from about 1967 through 1987.  Hundreds of thousands out there, and many need just a good service, a few parts, modern lubes, and to make it super capable, a metal spool and modern greased drags.

A kind of neat thing you can do, is find a metal spool from an old 280 or 285 -- it just fits perfect on a 330 -- but not a 330N.

A metal spool weighs in at 1.7 ounces -- plastic is 1.0 ounce -- in my book -- not an appreciable difference.

These spools are cast -- not turned.  Sure be nice to make a few thousand of these for folks.  Where are the old molds?

Tom may come up with a different technique -- he is a Wizard!

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Hey Fred,

I just had a great thought! If you'd sort through the left hand side of that tub and combine any Cardinal parts you find in there, including that 50/150/550 series spool, with the right side of the tub and send it to me I would put it all to VERY GOOD use!  ;D

Yes, someone is making aluminum spools for the Cardinal 3 & 4 but I'm not sure where they're being made. Mike Arhontakis (Cardinal Parts in Canada) has them for sale every now and then and Les Shaw (Classic Vintage Fishing Tackle in the UK) generally has them all the time.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Gfish

Had me scared for a min.Tom, have a Les Shaw spool on the way, advertised as aluminium. That first post a yours talked 'bout advertised as al., but plastic(Zebco(Abu) Cardinal 4). What about the plastic bail articulators/spring holder things? Unacceptable to me or am I bein too particular?
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Lunker Larry

Thanks Fred. Appreciate your time and response.
Larry
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Gfish on January 16, 2017, 08:58:40 PM
Had me scared for a min.Tom, have a Les Shaw spool on the way, advertised as aluminium. That first post a yours talked 'bout advertised as al., but plastic(Zebco(Abu) Cardinal 4). What about the plastic bail articulators/spring holder things? Unacceptable to me or am I bein too particular?
Gfish

I don't know about being too particular, but you may be overly concerned about something that, at least to me, hasn't proven to be an issue. I've got 65 green and/or tan ABU & Zebco Cardinals and black American Classic IV rear drag fulcrum brake reels. I haven't found any of those 3 plastic parts to be an appreciable maintenance or wear problem. I've never run into a stripped or broken drag knob and have only come across 4 bail arms or bail plates that were excessively worn or broken. One was a Cardinal 4 bale plate where the bail had been screwed into the plate so far that it cracked the plate, another was a Cardinal 4 bail arm that had a chip where it rests on the bail trip lever, I found a Cardinal 7 bail arm, which actually incorporates a metal insert, where the insert was worn, and the last one was a Cardinal 6 bail plate that was broken where the notch catches the nylon bail stopper. I'd say that's really not too bad considering there's a combined 2900 +- reel years, or over a million combined reel days worth of existence in that group of 65 reels. I've run across more worn metal bails, bail arms and bail screws on each of the Italian, French, German, Swiss, Japanese, etc. reels than I have ever seen on ABU made Cardinal reels, including many of the '80s & 90's Japanese made Cardinal bail arms & plates. They are, like most quality items, not made to be abused, though, such as just being thrown down in the boat or tossed into the back of the pickup, etc. IMO they, and that means any fine high quality reel, should be maintained and treated with some respect. If so, they'll more than likely last a lifetime, or maybe even two.  

Now, if you were to say you thought there was a weak link in the Cardinal 4, and occasionally the Cardinal 3, plastic spools, that when fully and tightly filled with mono or braid without a cork or plastic spool filler or some sort of Dacron type backing and/or were left out for long periods in direct UV rays or in an extremely cold garage or shed through the winter months, all of which contribute immensely to the front of the spool popping off, or that the Cardinal 6 & 7 nylon connecting link attachment that gets brittle and breaks after about 30 years was a weak link, I would absolutely agree, but like I said earlier, aluminum spools have been around for 20 years for the Cardinal 4 and about 10 years for the Cardinal 3. An all metal replacement connecting link has been available for the Cardinal 6 & 7 since about 1980.

No spinning reel is perfect but if you utilize these minor repair/fixes where and/or when they're needed you won't find a much better or reliable reel, at least for my money, anyway.

Here's some Cardinal 3 & 4 plastic & aluminum spool comparisons:

This is an original early Cardinal 3 plastic spool. It weighs in @ .70 oz.

This is a later, '77/'78ish lettered Cardinal 3 plastic spool coming in @ .73 oz.

This is an aluminum Cardinal 3 spool. It weighs 1.38 oz.

This one is the earliest version Cardinal 4 plastic spools that was used from '69 - '74 and basically weighs 1 oz.

This is the second generation Cardinal 4 plastic spool used from '75 - '78. It weighs 1.09 oz.

This is a SporTech/American Classic IV aluminum spool (fits all green & tan ABU & Zebco Cardinal 4s) from 1997. It weighs 1.57 oz.

This is a Cardinal 4 aluminum spool filled with 20 yds of 12# Dacron backing & 130 yds of 8# Trilene XL mono. Total weight 2.26 oz.

Here's the back of all seven spools. The top row are aluminum and the bottom row are plastic. The 3 on the left are Cardinal 3s and the 4 on the right are Cardinal 4's. Notice the difference in the surface areas around the main shaft hole.

Here's the back of another style aluminum Cardinal spool. Both the 3 & 4 look the same here. It has 8 holes drilled to reduce weight. The grooves for the main shaft cross pin have been ground in and those groves are sometimes anodized.

This is a plastic spool that has often been advertised as aluminum. It is very hard plastic and difficult to differentiate without cutting into one of those spokes. Notice the mold mark and the molded #2 directly across. Don't be fooled by this one.

These are my extra Cardinal 3, 4 & American Classic IV aluminum spools.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE