help, i need a chile recipe!!!!

Started by alantani, January 16, 2017, 05:22:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

for years i made a chili from a recipe that was given to me by dr. rich de leon.  he was my residency director and it was called "alfred's restaurant chili."  of course, i googled it and never found it, but then i was given this recipe in 1981.  gawd, i can't find that old scrap of paper anywhere.  so i'm putting out a plea now, well before the super bowl.  who's got a good chili recipe.  i don't think we're going to make this any kind of contest, but i would love to see what you guys have.  personally, i'm heart broken that i lost that scrap of paper.  dr. de leon is probably dead by now, so there likely no chance of ever finding that recipe again. 

so, guys, whatcha got????
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Big Tim

Alan if you can't remember the chile recipe then you are suffering from CRS or CRC   ;D I couldn't in good faith give you my Chile Recipe a it is secret and therefore I would have to..Well you know  ;D, but if you figure it out you can post it here  ;D ... I was given some venison recently so I may make some chile.

BT

philaroman

never used a recipe in my life -- just keep tasting & adding what's needed...  I'll give you my secret ingredients, though:

1) CHOCOLATE!!!  just a small amount of unsweetened cocoa... GOOD STUFF!!!  at least, Ghirardelli -- none of that Hershey crap

2) fresh-grind your choice of spices just before you add them -- dedicated coffee grinder works, but mortar/pestle is better

David Hall

Chief I got one passed on to me from a great guy on another forum a few years back it's a world class recipe.
Came from Smokin Al.
If you want it let me know I, sure he wouldn't mind my passing it along.

Bryan Young

Quote from: David Hall on January 16, 2017, 07:19:09 AM
Chief I got one passed on to me from a great guy on another forum a few years back it's a world class recipe.
Came from Smokin Al.
If you want it let me know I, sure he wouldn't mind my passing it along.
I would love a good chili recipe if you don't mind sharing.  Ah, chili and rice on a cold day is the best...and after surfing...
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

ChileRelleno

Hey Jefe, try my Chile's Chipolte Chile recipe, it's the not here, as is my Pier Picnic Chile.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

David Hall

Chilli. Do you know Smokin Al on smokingmeatforum?  He sent me his recipe, it's an award winner and delicious.

conchydong

C'mon post them up for the rest of us to peruse.

jigmaster501

The flavors that you will need will have to come from water and fat soluble spices. The cocoa powder is excellent but must be blended with the ground beef after it is browned so it will distribute evenly to the chili.

Use a higher fat ground beef, season it and brown with a tiny bit of olive oil. drain off the fat. and add the cocoa powder to the ground beef.

Use the remaining fat to brown the diced onions, and diced carrots. Add diced celery once browned just to get color.
Adding the seasonings to the onions mix makes it easy to toast up some flavors in the spices.
The obvious:  salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin,   etc, etc. Use what you like.
As for the hot stuff, that is your preference and of those eating the chili. Be careful with the seeds.

As for the rest, roast some beef marrow bones till the  marrow is ready to come out. If you do this before hand, you will get fat to brown a good bit of everything. Save the marrow to add to the chili.

Boil the marrow bones for about an hour or more than boil down the stock to concentrate it. Do this first in the process.

In the pot that you browned up the onions, etc, add some tomato paste and brown it while scraping it off the bottom of the pot. It will take the gamey flavor out and add some serious depth.

Once full browned, add the beef stock with the marrow enough to deglaze the pot. Add your beef and then add some canned beans of your choice that have been drained and rinsed.

Add more stock until you have the right consistency and then some.

Heat on the stove until boiling and reduce back to the consistency that you like.

Check the spices and if you like, you can add more.

Enjoy.

I know this isn't a real recipe but everyone will have to tweak it as they like it. Also, the volume will need adjusting as you see fit.

Make sure to cool this from 135F to 70F in 2 hours and from 70F to 41F in another 4 hours.

Use shallow pans less than 4 inches deep and don't put in fridge until the temps are below 135F.

Dominick

Each Halloween I would have a bunch of kids over to the house for a pumpkin carving party.  I would make a big pot of chili for the kids with corn bread.  This version (click on the pdf link below) is mild and fit for kids that don't like heat.  If you like heat add as much as you like while the pot is simmering.  Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

ChileRelleno

Quote from: David Hall on January 17, 2017, 12:38:13 AM
Chilli. Do you know Smokin Al on smokingmeatforum?  He sent me his recipe, it's an award winner and delicious.
Yes I do, if Al has a recipe its a good one.

My Chipotle Chile has won a few Chile Contests too  ;)
Ragnar Benson:
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

ChileRelleno

Quote from: conchydong on January 17, 2017, 12:59:54 AM
C'mon post them up for the rest of us to peruse.
QuoteChile's Chipotle Chile

8 cans: Herdez Chipotle chiles in Adobo sauce.
*4 cans: Rotel HOT, optional
*1lb Pinto beans, cooked, optional
2 cups: Brown Sugar
*1 large Hershey Special Dark chocolate bar, optional
2 large Onions quartered
4 large Garlic cloves
8-10lbs skirt/flank steak
Salt, Cumin and whatever other spices float your boat.

In a blender, combine chipotles/adobo sauce & *Rotel, blend till smooth.
In large stock pot, add 1/2cup oil and roast onions/garlic, remove, chop & return to pot.
Add Chipotle/Rotel to stock pot, heat on low-med.
Add brown sugar & *chocolate.
Grill steaks rare/med rare, char over heavy flame for great grill flavor, cool and cut into large bite sized chunks, add to pot.
*Add beans.
Season to taste.
Simmer 1/2hr, over low/med heat, careful not to scorch, stir frequently.

Serve topped with crumbled Queso Anejo and fresh tortilla chips.
Ice cold Horchata or Cerveza to wash it down.

Enjoy!

QuoteChile's Pier Picnic Chile

I've had a few request for the recipe, so here it is.
I had to use what I had on hand or could grab at WallyWorld after a long day at work so it is very different from my purist version 'Chile's Chipotle Chile'.

1 7oz can of Chipotles in Adobo Sauce
    1 19oz can of Old ElPaso Red Enchilada sauce
    2 cans of Rotel Cilantro & Lime
    2 cans of Black Beans
    1 tbsp each, Cumin, Paprika and Salt
    1 heaping tbsp minced garlic
    1 each Green, Red, Yellow and Orange Bell peppers, diced
    1 large onion, diced
    2/3 large bar of Hershey's Special Dark chocolate
    3/4 cup of brown sugar
    4#s of cubed Chuck for stewing

In a blender liquefy the chipotles, Rotel, brown sugar and spices.
    Let it sit till needed.

Next I browned the beef over very high heat in a deep stock pot with a little EVOO, got a really good sear on it, crunchy edges.
    I did mine in four small batches so it wouldn't steam in it's juices and I could get the sear on it.
    I also divided the tbsp of minced garlic between the batches and added some salt.
    Placed the beef in a warmed crockpot and added the can of enchilada sauce, the blended chile sauce and the chocolate.
    And let it get simmering on High heat for about two hours.

Meanwhile I got that pot really hot again, added some more EVOO and burned the onion and bell peppers to get a sear on them too, but not cook them soft. Then I put them to the side.

After getting the crockpot to a simmer I added the black beans and veggies and turned it to Warm heat.
    Usually I'd do some taste testing at this time, add some salt, spices, sugar or chocolate as needed.
    Better to add later than start with too much.

Now it is time to eat after maybe a half hour to an hour.
    Every bite a distinct experience of flavors/texture with beef, beans and veggies.
    The meat not overcooked and the beans/veggies still firm and flavorful.

Ragnar Benson:

David Hall

Quote from: ChileRelleno on January 17, 2017, 02:28:58 AM
Quote from: David Hall on January 17, 2017, 12:38:13 AM
Chilli. Do you know Smokin Al on smokingmeatforum?  He sent me his recipe, it's an award winner and delicious.
Yes I do, if Al has a recipe its a good one.

My Chipotle Chile has won a few Chile Contests too  ;)

He sent his recipe to me several years ago and man is it good!  But I think I swore an oath?

mizmo67

I don't use a recipe either...I just wing it every time
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com