Could Be Custom

Started by The Great Maudu, January 16, 2017, 03:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Great Maudu

I bought this Pflueger Oceanic because something about it looked unusual. It seemed wider than other Oceanic's I've seen. Also, there are no numbers stamped on the foot indicating yardage. Ruby's book states that Pflueger did custom builds and that got me thinking. I took it apart for cleaning and to see if I could find any clues. The only thing I found was and X on the reel foot and and X on the head plate indicating matching surfaces I assume. The plates measure 4 1/4" OD and the crossbars are 3 3/8". If you have one of the big Oceanics I would appreciate if you could measure and see if there's a match. Could help me identify this oldie. Best, Mike

The Great Maudu

Here are pics of the reel foot and head plate marked with X

sdlehr

Mike, my plates are 4-1/8" wide, crossbars are 2-3/16". My handle is counterbalanced and there is a "400" on the bottom of the foot. Mine has no drag or antireverse but does have a free spool lever. The bearing caps on mine are the typical Pflueger caps with the oil port, also unlike yours. I haven't been inside this reel I bought from Striper Lou about a year ago...

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

The Great Maudu

Thanks Sid. That sounds like a typical 400. Maybe someone can find a 500 and measure it.

sdlehr

Maybe this will help, Mike. It had been posted by Mike C in another thread.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector