TLD15 problems

Started by tinboat, January 18, 2017, 03:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tinboat

I'm a rookie who's had good luck servicing my Newell reels and Ambassadeurs thanks to this site, Thank you for the help!

Now I've started on my TLD15 (made in Japan version) and have a basic problem.  I can't budge the two click gear screws (key#49) that hold the click gear in place.

I've stopped trying, as I was starting to strip the heads.  I've ordered some better quality, precision screw drivers, but I could use some advice on how to proceed.  What can I do to loosen these guys? 

foakes

Good Morning, Tinboat, and welcome --

Sometimes, these screws have had a bit of loctite applied to the threads.

After you get the right size large handled screwdriver -- not a power bit driver in this case...Phillips screwdrivers have a few different designs -- some deeper, some wider, some sharper, etc.  Match the right driver to the screw before turning.

Secure the spool in a towel -- then with a good grip on the screwdriver and another on the spool -- try to "tighten" the screw just enough to break the bond -- then it should back out normally.

The more you mess with the screws -- the better the chance of having to replace them will be.

So you will only get a couple of chances -- glad you backed off when you did.

There are other possibilities -- but this works 90% of the time for me.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handi2

Right on Fred.

If you need 2 replacement screws please PM me your address and I will get them going your way.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

akfish

Given that your reel was made in Japan, it's quite old, and if those screws have never been removed, it's going to be tough. Personally, I'd try with the correct Phillips screw driver and if that didn't work, I get out the Dremel and make the screw into a slot head. You might scar the end piece, but that's not a problem and you'll get those screws out.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Gfish

Solvent( plastic safe), preferably overnight, then hairdryer heat and what foakes 'n Akfish said. If no-go, I'll trade ya for my Malyasian TLD 15!
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

alantani

i deal with this all the time.  find the best fitting phillips, lean down as hard as you can and twist.  it should back out.  worst case, take the cutting wheel of a dremel, cut a notch across the top and use a flat screwdriver.  yeah, i hate these.....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

tinboat

Quote from: handi2 on January 18, 2017, 04:49:32 PM
Right on Fred.

If you need 2 replacement screws please PM me your address and I will get them going your way.

Keith

PM sent, Thanks!

tinboat

I appreciate all of the great ideas.  This is a terrific board, thanks Alan!

My new, quality, screw drivers will not be here until Monday.  I think I'll practice with my Dremel tool until then so I'm ready to make a "modification" if I need too  ;)

Thanks again,  John