Power drivers...

Started by Alto Mare, January 19, 2017, 05:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rancanfish

Those plates are easily broken manually, too.  Juuust snug was a bit too much on one of mine.  I fixed it with the water weld JB.

Porthos had the best idea, with adding a tube to the screw shaft between the plate and body.

Funny how these subjects go round in cycles.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Rancanfish on January 19, 2017, 09:17:50 PM
Those plates are easily broken manually, too.  Juuust snug was a bit too much on one of mine.  I fixed it with the water weld JB.

Porthos had the best idea, with adding a tube to the screw shaft between the plate and body.

Funny how these subjects go round in cycles.

Ran, you are absolutely correct on Porthos plate, I have a different take on mine. I strongly believe the damage accurred while the screw was being sert it with a power drive and not while fishing.
Porthos did an excellent job fixing his and i'm glad. I personally believe JB Weld is crap...just my opinion.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 19, 2017, 10:20:44 PM
I personally believe JB Weld is ****...just my opinion.

Sal

JB Weld is great stuff, Sal...

As long as the parts repaired never need to be touched, stored, used, handled, exposed to light or dark, or ever looked at...

Some guys swear by it, though -- guess I don't know enough about it to use it properly.

It is probably the last shot at saving a part before tossing it -- I would have trouble trusting the integrity under real fishing conditions.

Just my opinion...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 19, 2017, 10:20:44 PM
I personally believe JB Weld is ****...just my opinion.

Sal

Me too, Devcon makes a better product.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Sorry guys, I used too strong of a word, I was trying to change it,  but you guys already replied.
I do realize some do swear by that product,  so I sould not be calling it crap.
As for me, I never had luck with it.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

I do not like it but have used several of the Devcon products.

I "fixed" the quote on my post.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Reel 224

Speaking of tools. My son just came over to "Borrow" ::) my Hithi cordless drill and charger for work. Isn't there a cut of age when children stop borrowing tools, mine is 43 and still is at it. :-\

Joe   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Rancanfish

Count yourself lucky Joe.  My son lends my tools to his friends and I never see them again.  Or in the case of my floor jack...broken.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

handi2

Sal I have been using may hands since I started plumbing in 1972. I used to beat the hell out of my left hand caulking and setting lead in cast iron pipe.

Then i was put into a wheelchair in 1988. That's "hands on" all the time!

My right wrist hurts at night and the fingers in my left hand hurt daily. I use a prescription creme Volteran that contains ground up Motrin. It works very good.

Right now I have to ball up a towel in my left hand when I transfer in and out of bed or in and out of my truck. The towel keeps my fingers from completely closing in my fist.

I use the Milwaukee M4 not M5 with hollow ground bits and Wiha philips and others. My old power driver has a worn down clutch and wont tighten much at all. I then follow up by hand.

Most all the time I have the right hollow ground bit in the driver and break the screw loose by turning the driver itself before hitting the trigger. Same with all bits.

I use the Wiha bits. They fit perfectly no matter what type bit I'm using.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

oc1

JB Weld is mainly just a filler.  If the material has enough tooth it may wedge itself in place.  But, you're not going to get much of a molecular bond between JB Weld and the side plate material.  Some plastics are best bonded together with a hot iron.  It needs to be hot enough to melt, but not burn.  A soldering iron will often work.  For gaps you can take a sliver of the plastic you are working with and melt it into place. 
-steve

Benni3

jb weld is ok but 3m panel bond is 10x stronger sticks better and you can sand it and shape it thay also have 3my plastic weld but very expensive