Drag washers not exact size

Started by BMITCH, April 19, 2011, 03:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMITCH

It seems that I have run into a couple of instances where I was unable to find the exact size fiber washer that is required for the reel that I'm working on. The question I have is it not advisable to have a fiber washer that is smaller in o.d. Than the metal washers or the main gear on star drags. H ow about the inner hole?If I use a washer that has an o.d. Less than the original and the inner hole is larger,does this cause the washer to wander and possibly bind up?
luck is the residue of design.

Bryan Young

Quote from: BMITCH on April 19, 2011, 03:59:33 PM
The question I have is it not advisable to have a fiber washer that is smaller in o.d. Than the metal washers or the main gear on star drags.
It will not make that much of a difference if the OD is slightly smaller than the metal washers.

Quote from: BMITCH on April 19, 2011, 03:59:33 PM
How about the inner hole?If I use a washer that has an o.d. Less than the original and the inner hole is larger,does this cause the washer to wander and possibly bind up?
This will not pose any issues on the bottom of the washer stack.  It may pose a slight issue at the stop of the stack if the last carbon washer is above the edge of the gear set.  If you select a washer, than if it does wonder, does not extend beyond the keyed metal washer, then it will be fine as it will not interfere with anything outside of the drag stack.  If it does, select one with a smaller ID and bore out if needed.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Bryan is right with his answer...as usual.  What type of reel are you working on? maybe we can help find the proper washers and take the guess work out. Your last washer might create friction, depending on how much play you have. For good performance, I recommend the same size washers as the metal washers.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BMITCH

Working on a Fin-Nor OFC20H. I was informed that the saltiga 40 is the same dimensions??

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BMITCH

I posted to dawn and got a response from taz575? I'm assuming that's not dawn? Taz recommended that I use the set of carbonex washers for the saltiest 40. Not that I don't trust tax or anything,but the reply wasn't from dawn.I was planning to call smooth drag today in order to make sure.