Record 51 casting thumb bar

Started by tinboat, January 20, 2017, 07:41:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tinboat

I have a Record 51 with a broken cast release thumb bar.  It was broken and glued previously by the sneaky #@%&# original owner.  (Shame on me)  Buying a new frame with thumb bar is like $58 so I'm hoping to do a repair.  Any ideas?  What's the best glue I could try?  Does anyone know if a used 5601 C4 frame would work?

Thanks, John

oc1

There's one listed on fleabay for ten bucks.
-steve

tinboat

Quote from: oc1 on January 20, 2017, 08:23:50 PM
There's one listed on fleabay for ten bucks.
-steve

Thanks Steve, but I think that's the thumb rest.  I need the thumb bar that releases the spool into free spool. If I can't repair it, I may have to get the frame as they're one piece. I see a new 5601 C4 frame for $33 on fleabay but I'm not sure if it'll work. (different part number)

-John

oc1

Sorry John.  Understand now.  You could try boring a hole through the cracked thumb bar and inserting a metal rod for reinforcing before you glue it.  Knowing what kind of plastic it is would help select the best glue.  With luck it would be ABS or PVC.  A solvent cement would work much better than a glue that tries to adhere to the surface.
-steve

tinboat

Quote from: oc1 on January 21, 2017, 07:41:39 AM
Sorry John.  Understand now.  You could try boring a hole through the cracked thumb bar and inserting a metal rod for reinforcing before you glue it.  Knowing what kind of plastic it is would help select the best glue.  With luck it would be ABS or PVC.  A solvent cement would work much better than a glue that tries to adhere to the surface.
-steve

Yes, good idea! I'll see if I can find out what type of plastic they use.

There's not much room to drill a hole, but I'll look at that too.

Thanks Steve!

reel man

I think the 5601 is a left handed model.  I've used 5600 cages to give me a thumb bar on a number of ambassadeur's that are right handed. I would think the left handed model release pin would be on the left side of the thumb bar, so would not work for you.

tinboat

Quote from: reel man on January 21, 2017, 01:28:56 PM
I think the 5601 is a left handed model.  I've used 5600 cages to give me a thumb bar on a number of ambassadeur's that are right handed. I would think the left handed model release pin would be on the left side of the thumb bar, so would not work for you.

Yes, both the Record 51 and 5601 are left handed with thumb bars, but the frames have different part numbers, so I'm not sure if I can interchange the frames???

thx, John