Vintage trolling combo

Started by The Great Maudu, January 24, 2017, 05:33:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Great Maudu

This is one of my favorite rigs for trolling in the Gulf of Mexico for kings, Spanish and Bonita. It's an early version Pflueger Capital 1988 with free spool, star drag, anti reverse and quick take apart function. It's mounted atop a 2 piece split bamboo boat rod with a label that simply says "Strong". In order to improve the handling and control of the rod I flocked the handle and foregrip with black fibers. This set up works beautifully for its intended purpose however if you have never battled a 15 pound king with one of those little wooden bell grips you can't truly appreciate a power handle, lol

oc1

I think I recognize the wrapping thread and guides on the rod Mike.  Post-war Japan Kiraku Co. Grampus?  The kind that came in a wooden box with little compartments for tackle.
-steve

The Great Maudu

That's a good point Steve. I have seen those exact threads on some of my other rods. I'll look at the labels and see what they say.

thorhammer

Looks like Gudebrod Trimar thread, which I use extensively (they are out of bidness now). That could've been rewrapped; hard to tell from the finish.