Maxel Oceanmax - spool doesn't to freespool under drag when line is pulled out

Started by Richardr, January 26, 2017, 07:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richardr

Hello guys

I had a issue with my Maxel Oceanmax OSL 06 or 08 this summer. Strike was set to maybe 12-15lbs and during a drift with the lever at strike position my bait was stuck in the bottom. Line was pulling out since the boat was drifting and I pulled the lever to free spool, but nothing happened. Normally the spool is psuhed to the side to free spool, but not now. Spool was stuck with heavy drag but the lever at free spool...
Finally I managed to get some slack line and moving the lever to full and back to free the spool moved to free spool. I'm just glad this wasn't a situation where someones hand was tangled with the braided line or a big fish bashing around the boat.
Any idea what might have caused this and what I should troubleshoot?

Thank you

Wolli

well known fault. Same troubles had with a batch in Germany.
The Spool Shaft Spring ist too week. The Drag Plate will not pushed back with lever in free position.
Inform your dealer with request to order stronger springs from Maxel (they do have).

Let me know if your dealer has no success. I`ll ask the European General Importer if he has still some in stock.

Rgds

Wolli
love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

Richardr

Quote from: Wolli on February 07, 2017, 02:02:22 AM
well known fault. Same troubles had with a batch in Germany.
The Spool Shaft Spring ist too week. The Drag Plate will not pushed back with lever in free position.
Inform your dealer with request to order stronger springs from Maxel (they do have).

Let me know if your dealer has no success. I`ll ask the European General Importer if he has still some in stock.

Rgds

Wolli

Wolli,

thank you for this. I've contacted my dealer in USA. We'll see if it can be solved.
Since I live in Sweden the European General Importer could be easier compared with having the parts shipped from the US. But I've now reached out to my US dealer and hopefully they can ship the spring.
Thanks again
/Richard

Robert Janssen

QuoteSince I live in Sweden
Oh, really? Where?
Quotethe European General Importer could be easier
You never know about Agents and Importers... some are great, some are thick as molasses. As it happens, there is a company who imports Maxel in Sweden. I'm not sure if you know that. They seemed like decent guys; I met them briefly last year at the fishing show. They are outside Stockholm. (hang a right off the 222 towards Gustavsberg, after Skurubron) Profish Nordic AB, tel 0770-820 150 / Profish.se
Quotecompared with having the parts shipped from the US.
Well, sometimes that is easier.

Richardr

Quote from: Robert Janssen on February 09, 2017, 09:33:48 AM
QuoteSince I live in Sweden
Oh, really? Where?
Quotethe European General Importer could be easier
You never know about Agents and Importers... some are great, some are thick as molasses. As it happens, there is a company who imports Maxel in Sweden. I'm not sure if you know that. They seemed like decent guys; I met them briefly last year at the fishing show. They are outside Stockholm. (hang a right off the 222 towards Gustavsberg, after Skurubron) Profish Nordic AB, tel 0770-820 150 / Profish.se
Quotecompared with having the parts shipped from the US.
Well, sometimes that is easier.

Hello Robert
I live in Bromma/Stockholm. I've met the guys at Profish (Stig) one or two times. I've never visted their shop though. I bought my Maxel reels before there were any Scandinavian distributors/resellers of Maxel reels.

I'm still waiting for the spareparts to show up which I hope they will soon.

BR
Richard Rydstrom