Daiwa 40HSD / 50HSD owners here?

Started by Rancanfish, January 27, 2017, 01:03:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rancanfish

I have been curious about these reels for quite awhile.  Historical data too.

It's a great little reel in Jigmaster sizes, beefed up with an aluminum frame, five stack drag stock, etc.

Wasn't a popular selling reel, but some have to be out there.  Who bought them?  I never hear any of our members asking questions or even mentioning them.  Rarely come up for sale. ( I got mine from Nelz ).

Ok, who has one of these models?  Speak up.

PS.  If you have a 40 I need a spool, lol.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Rancanfish

Nobody has one of these? 

I'm baffled why these never appear.  See more Newell 220's, some Pro Gear, even Shimano Tld's.

Did they only make a few and give up?

Hmmmmmm.

nelz

Rancanfish

;D  I'm thinking it's worth big bucks now.

Hamachi

Still can be had for $30 in almost new condition. Sleeper reels for sure. Oops, my bad, wrong reel. Sorry about that!
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

Rancanfish

H-man,  I was shaking my head wondering where you saw them for $30, lol.

I'll buy (4) if you find them at that price.

Another reel that seems to be extinct.

These are clearly superior to any Jigmaster right out of the box.

nelz

Hey Randy, I just scored a 50HSD, am now waiting on delivery. I miss my old 40HSD but until now have only been able to find this 50 sized one. I've seen a couple 40/50's before this but they were in rough shape. This one looks real good in photos, we'll see!

If all goes well I'll be hitting you up for some of the upgrade tips that you've no doubt done to your 40HSD. Hope you've taken that beauty off the shelf by now, lol.

Rancanfish

Nelz, I had every intention of fishing the 40HSD I got from you.  I even bought a NIB 40HSD frame thinking I could just get another spool to build a back up reel..........NOPE.  Unobtanium material.

I got a 50HSD too, off the auction but it's waiting for new drags.

I never hear them mentioned anywhere.  I think Daiwa only made about 10, lol.

I'm questioning whether it's even sane to fish it, with it being so hard to find another. 

I put a 3/0 Tani handle knob on an extra Daiwa arm I had and it's perfect at catching shelf dust bunnies.

nelz

Quote from: Rancanfish on July 12, 2017, 07:01:11 PM
Nelz, I had every intention of fishing the 40HSD I got from you.  I even bought a NIB 40HSD frame thinking I could just get another spool to build a back up reel..........NOPE.  Unobtanium material.  I got a 50HSD too, off the auction but it's waiting for new drags. I never hear them mentioned anywhere.  I think Daiwa only made about 10, lol. I'm questioning whether it's even sane to fish it, with it being so hard to find another. I put a 3/0 Tani handle knob on an extra Daiwa arm I had and it's perfect at catching shelf dust bunnies.

So what parts were Unobtanium? Is the spool not a match with other Sealines?  Btw, how do I order a new drag, Smoooth's website doesn't list it.

I suspect the plastic drag star may have turned away some sales. Nothing wrong with it though, it's pretty strong, unlike the Penn Baja's that was reputed to be too brittle and break often. Still, I'd like to replace it with a metal one off another Sealine, there's got to be a match.

Btw, a while back I took the 40 on a head boat and the mate recognized it and commented that they were great reels.

Hamachi

This website "offer up" has a 40hsd $40 or make offer in San Clemente. I don't know if they're legit, so you're on your own on that. Hey! That's close to you Porthos, isn't it?
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

Porthos

Pass San Clemente everyday on the commute. Randy, do you want me to try?

Rancanfish

Wai, Thanks! That would be awesome! Thank you too, Hamachi.

That 'Offer up' is just like Craigslist, sort of, lol.  You will get flaky people sometimes.

Nelz, when I get a chance I'll play around a bit with spools.  Maybe a 47H spool fits?  I doubt it but just haven't looked yet.

I'll get the dimensions of the drags for you and see what I can match up.

nelz

Thanks Ran, just interested in the drag disk size and a compatible metal drag star, as for the spool, I was just curious.

I think "Offer Up" requires a phone app, unlike Craigslist. Btw, a guy in FL was recently murdered while buying an iPhone from Craigslist. Be very careful folks.

Rancanfish

Just checked the drag discs.  Thin, almost plastic-y.  5 stack as stock.

Inches - Measurements - MM
.976      Outside dia.       24.70
.559        Inside dia.         14.21
.019       Thickness             .48

#21 drag in the chart?  And then adjust the I.d. so it doesn't float? At least the thickness is pretty close!

nelz

Thanks Ran. Yeah, the originals are like that but I found they worked pretty smoothly, they just don't put out as much pressure as CF. They are some blend that includes carbon, I find they resemble the dartanium material.  I thought you had found disks from a different reel that fit it?