5stack drag.

Started by publius, January 28, 2017, 04:23:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

publius

Could I convert a 5000/5500 to a greater capacity than stock 5 stack carbontex? Would it make a difference?

akfish

It would be very tough. The drag washers and metal drag plates in those reels are already very thin so getting in more drag washers would require very, very thin drag washers. Would it make a difference if you could? Perhaps, but pushing up the drag on any reel risks failure of something other than the drag. My guess is that much more drag on a 5000/5500 would torque the frame just enough to create problems with the level wind. Also, the gear teeth are small and thin and wild likely shred if you pushed the drag too hard.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

handi2

The best available is the kit from Dawn at Smooth Drag.

She has ground flat metal washers and Carbontex washers that actually fit the main gear. The stock carbon washers are smaller than the main gear. Less friction area. With the ground flat metal washers the top washer is flat not domed so you get more area there too.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

PacRat

I wouldn't hesitate to install Dawn's kit....but think of it as a smoothness and reliability improvement. I caught several yellowtail on a 6500 and I was in constant concern of either shredding the gears or breaking the gear sleeve. So go easy on the reel and don't button the drag down to full capacity or you risk thrashing an otherwise fine reel.
-Mike

mo65

Quote from: PacRat on January 28, 2017, 05:17:14 PM
I wouldn't hesitate to install Dawn's kit....but think of it as a smoothness and reliability improvement. I caught several yellowtail on a 6500 and I was in constant concern of either shredding the gears or breaking the gear sleeve. So go easy on the reel and don't button the drag down to full capacity or you risk thrashing an otherwise fine reel.
-Mike

I'm glad you posted this Mike. I was just thinking about what Keith said about the increased friction area...and he's right...that's a lot of friction surface for that gear. I'd think there has to be enough power there to shred something if buttoned down on a hard running fish.  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

publius

Thanks guys. I have gotten a drag kit from Dawn before but I think it just replaced the factory configuration. I'll ask her about the above when I order more kits.

mahfudzmn

I could be mistaken, but don't these 5000/5500 have 4 drag washers? I was trying to to understand what does 5 stack means, does that mean 5 washers? I was wondering how a five washer system would work to have all the washers actively contributing

Typically max I get from the round BCs are about 4.5-6kg around 10-14lbs usually averaging 5kg or 12lbs. You could try roughing up the drag plates and surfaces with 280-320 grit sandpaper. Sometimes I do that after polishing the surface to remove corroded spots/bumps then 'regrooving' the surface with sandpaper to roughened the polished surface.

Bryan Young

A3-stack is more than enough for that reel. I wouldn't go more tan 8# of drag. More like 3-5# for that reel. I've gone through a few gears because of using higher than 8# of drag.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mahfudzmn

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 11, 2017, 09:07:27 PM
A3-stack is more than enough for that reel. I wouldn't go more tan 8# of drag. More like 3-5# for that reel. I've gone through a few gears because of using higher than 8# of drag.

3-5 LB is probably too easy for the reel, but I generally use mine with about 7-10 lb drag most of the time with no problems, or no problems yet hahaha