Columbia River Salmon/Sturgeon & Fam time..

Started by Nessie Hunter, April 21, 2011, 05:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nessie Hunter

Couldnt find a New Topic button at Reports???  So Ill do it here, does have a lot of pics!!!

Arrived Fri 4-1 and on Sun we had a guided trip for Salmon & Sturgeon on the Columbia right along side the city of Portland & PDX (the airport).
I was there for 11 days, best vacation I can remember!!  All the kids had time to spend with me for once!!  
Actually got every one up and in the car by 6:15 AND ARRIVED AT Hayden Island Marina (right unde the I-5 bridge to Wash State/Oregon) in the middle of the Columbia River, early 6:30 with 7 AM arrival time...   WOW, that never happens, EVER!!!  

Called Larry Kesch our paid guide. He was down at the boat and came up and got us.  
Outstanding weather forecast of = partly cloudy with NO RAIN.  Again that never happens in Oregon either!!!  
The fishing Gods are with us so far!!

Well we got out on the river and set up all 6 trolling rigs with large flashers and a Smelt at the end on a hok and all tied to the line.  Larry had them all soaked in a blue die so the glowed Blue. cool!!   :thumb:

Did two very long slow trolls down current, like every one else (last day of Chinook Season so lot of boats out there. Nothing, no one catching at all.  Larry was ont he phone with other guides and no one was getting bit..
The water level had come up about 6 Ft 3 days ago and the bite had died!!!..

OK, Got o plan B.... We are changing up and moving to  Sturgeon Area.... On the Willamett?? River T intersects with Columbia and runs right through downtown Portland.
Good choice, we had a steady bite n them (small ones) for the last half of the day. Every one got 2 or 3 fish,  They finally made me take one, I was having to much fun watching them whooop & hollar and taking pics & videos,

Nothing big or mega Sturgeon Size, just 2 to  4 footers, but a hell of a lot of fun for all of us...
Here are some random pics. I have a couple of Videos also, Bt this laptop is driving me NUTZZZZ

Pics of all the kids... 
Daughter Rebecca in the hat,
Granddaughter in the glasses,
Son?? Big guy with chin wiskers & Nutter Hat....
Our Guide also Larry, good dude... 
Great gandson didnt go, he is only 2 1/2 so stayed at his dads for the day. 
Added a pic of him at end....

Had a super great tme, had the kids all *locked on the boat and held captive*,  No where to go had to actually talk to each other (no texting!!) and we laughed and wooopped so much, we all had sore sides and faces..
Truly a fun Quality time for all of us.  I know it was for me!!!       

Some real Family bonding that doesnt come often to families that are spread out and all have diff things going on in their lives!!!
We needed it........

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Bryan Young

That looks like so much fun.  Always wanted to do that with friends and family in the Vancouver, Camas, and Portland Area.  I just gotta get up there sometime to do it.  Thanks for sharing.  Someting to look forward to.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Very nice Nessie Hunter....that's what it's all about! Thanks for sharing, Sal ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Norcal Pescador

Nessie Hunter,
It's always great to see a family fishing like this. ;D ;D   Goodonya, mate! 8)
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Dominick

Quote from: norcal pescador on April 21, 2011, 09:29:35 PM
   Goodonya, mate! 8)
Rob
Goodonya mate? ???  I thought Nessie Hunter was an American living in Oregon? ;D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Norcal Pescador

He's lives in the high desert of Hesperia, California. ;D   My Aussie is better than my Italiani. ;) So there! :P

:D :D
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Alto Mare

Goodonya mate? ???  I thought Nessie Hunter was an American living in Oregon? ;D  Dominick
[/quote]

Dominick, I think Nessie Hunter has some Italian blood in him, I can spot an Italian from a mile away ;D

Rob, I think you're holding your own with the Italiano ;)

Nessie, did the portable heater help? I tryed one of those and didn't do anything for me but waste gas.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Nessie Hunter

The portable heater (propane) worked great if you were 3 ft from it, and/or the boat was trolling or stopped...   Otherwise it was a waste.... Kept the girls from freezing pretty good though.  They sure squealed if it went off!!! (had safety tip switch, good bump and it was off!!)...

Sucked that we didnt get any Salmon, the kids are all Salmon eaters, I dont care for it much...
Water level had gone up & the bite shut down.  Not one meter mark or others catching at all...

But the Baby Sturgeon kind of made up for it.....

Not cheap. $175 per adult, $100 per kid (4 adults, 1 child).  $800 !!!!
About standard/average price I found on internet...

No regrets, best time I have had with the kids that I can remember??????   

Maybe a WFO Barracuda bite off the Coronado's in the mid 70's??? 
40 & 42 now, they were like 5 & 7 then... 
They were little, but still talk about that trip!!!
I never got a line in the water, 2 kids & wife steady hooked up, all I did was bait hooks and take Cuda off hooks!!

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!