Cooking on the Cheap with a can of Clam Chowder

Started by Big Tim, January 30, 2017, 08:02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Tim

OK, I have to cook on the cheap for a while so I have to be creative. Save Mart had Progresso Clam Chowder for $.88 a can, so I picked up 10  ;D. My wife said "what the hell you going to do with all that Chowder"

;D ;D ;D

Got to be creative

Chowder, shrimp, potatoes, butter, salt, pepper and cheese (I think Sal said you need cheese on fish  ;D)

Pepper Jack and Parmesan

Make some mashed potatoes

Heat up the Chowder, take out your Handy Dandy cast iron salsa bowl, put in some chowder, shrimp & Pepper Jack

A little more chowder and cheese

Top with mash potatoes, smooth out a bit, add Parmesan then into a pre heated oven @ 400 for 18 minutes +/-

After 18 minutes in the oven I turned on the broiler for 2 minutes, remove from oven then let rest for 10 minutes

Not Bad at all  ;D less than $3.00 (the shrimp was on sale last week for $10.98 for 2 pounds)

Next time I'll use a bit less of the chowder and a bit more mash potatoes.
BT

STRIPER LOU

Man, that looks hearty and its got seafood too!!
..................Lou

humboldtdan

Ingenious.  Kind of like shepherd's pie for a fisher.

ChileRelleno

Quote from: humboldtdan on January 30, 2017, 09:08:26 PM
Ingenious.  Kind of like shepherd's pie for a fisher.
That's what I was thinking too.

Looks all warm and tasty on cold day, yum!
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

philaroman

great ingenuity, added ingredients and final result, but still...
best thing you can do w/ canned soup, is to LEAVE IT IN THE CAN!!!

Reel 224

BT; That is right up Ruth's alley with that smashed potatoes and shrimp, as a matter fact Ruth is looking over my shoulder now. So I have to make Shrimp tonight with potatoes but I don't have clam chowder. Or shrimp scampi.

Joe

P.S. I found a can of cream of mushroom so I'm baking it in the oven as I type with shrimp and smashed potato in a baking dish. It's all new to me, but I'm willing to try it.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Reel 224

I followed BT recipe except I substituted the clam chowder with cream of mushroom w/garlic. These are the pictures. I have to say such a simple recipe was a winner.

Joe

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mo65

I want a big bowl of that and a cold beer! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Alto Mare

Looks good to me, clam chowder is one of my favorite. I miss my daughter not being up in Boston anymore, it was madatory for me to get some when I visited. Boston has the best!

Very nice.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Big Tim

Nice! Joe.

BT

David Hall

Man you old guys are creative as hell!
Shepherds pie, goulash, Mousaka, call it what you want, it's got meat, potatoes broth even veggies!  It's a meal in a bowl and I love it.