259 Live Bait Caster/99 Width River King

Started by mo65, January 31, 2017, 12:19:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Once again I find myself converting a reel to "99" sizing...it's just a very comfortable size I guess...at least for our fishing around here. I wanted this reel compact, fairly light, and very strong. It sure feels like I'm there, this reel feels super solid.
   The first photo shows what I started with, just your run of the mill 259. Most of the corrosion was on the posts and stand, so the Tiburon frame and spool kit took care of that. The second pic shows all the parts laid out for assembly. Although there is a stock dog pictured, I actually used a Keta's Kustom ss dog. I also used a Pro Challenger ss gear sleeve and Bryan's 5 stack. The astute may also note the brass top washer and different first carbontex washer in the drag stack. I pilfered two washers from Bryan's kit for a future project, and replaced them with stock items. Combine that with the added thickness of a #10-66 star and there's no need for the wave washer. The last two photos show the finished reel.
   I'm confident this one can take every pound Bryan's five stack can generate. After I spool it up I'll make a few pulls and see what she can do. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

mo65

Here is a front and rear view of the 259/99 River King. 8)

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Reel 224

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mo65

I got the reel spooled up with 30lb. mono and tested the drag. Testing went well...I got 19lbs. locked down finger tight from the top of the spool. I've got enough headroom to fish 40lb. mono if needed, but I really prefer 30lb. with the drag set at 10-12lbs. I was a bit worried about my main gear...as its not my favorite type steel gear. I like the moly coated gears, and this one is chromium plated. If you zoom on the parts pic in the first post you'll see where the plating has flaked off inside the gear. I was worried this might affect smoothness of the drag, but if it has any bearing, I'm missing it. This 5 stack is as smooth as all my others.
  The first pic shows that chromium steel gear and an Acetal under gear washer mounted on Pro Challenger's ss gear sleeve. I used one shim under the sleeve for a precise fit. The second photo shows the scale after testing, and the third pic is the "money shot". All dressed up with pink 30lb. Ande and ready for action! 8)

thorhammer

Mo I think that's some sort of 1/0 Grouper Special Junior you just built. really nice. I'm a 259 fan.

PacRat

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mo65

Quote from: Bryan Young on January 31, 2017, 08:50:52 PM
That's  a whole lot of drag.

For this size reel, I agree Bryan. All the other reels I've done with this #5-60 gear made 15-18lbs. tops. I think with a little line ran off the spool this reel would make 20lbs. Its not really important that it maintain that number long either...as I don't fish for anything big enough to run with that much drag. I'd be using that to lift one glued to the bottom. Actually, I can't see me ever buttoning it down. 8)

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Swami805

Nice reel Mo,you should be able to cross the eyes of a few cats with that. 99 is a nice size. Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Bill B

Darn it MO......another project on the self imposed Honey Do list of reels I have to build..... Im gonna have to take another job just to support this list....another Home Run brother....definitely a Cool Beans Project....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

coastal_dan

Very nice build, top shelf.

You never know, you may need it for a big snapper if it picks up your bait  :D
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

mo65

Thanks folks for taking a look...and the nice comments! 8)