Tiagra 30W - spool spins when I wind while in freespool

Started by Lih, January 31, 2017, 03:13:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lih

Hi all, first post. Got trouble with my tiagra 30W, when set in freespool and i wind the handle the spool spins slowly. The spool does spin freely when i spin it by hand. Drag setting at normal 5kg/10lb, fishing 15kg/30lb. I've replaced all 4 bearings but still persists. any ideas?

alantani

if there is no bearing sleeve, then a side load on the spool bearings will do that.  not to worry!  and welcome!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Tightlines667

If you are truely having trouble dropping the reel into freespool, then you either have a burr somewhere on the spool shaft (where it passes through one of the spool bearings, or heat mech,  if present?), or your bellevilles and thrust washer stack is a bit too big.

The former is indicated by a spool that hangs up when put into freespool, and often with a little nudge will jump to the right.  This can be corrected by bedurring and polishing the spool shaft.

The later shows better freespool only when the preset is backed all the way off.    If this seems to he your issue,  the belleville stack height can be decreased by removing a flat washer (preload or thrust) or changing the beleville config.  You may want to check it to ensure it is the correct stock arrangement.

If neither occurs and the problem is minor, then this is normal bearing side load in these reels.  Sometimes tilting the reel will increase freespool here.  This is normal on reels without a spool sleeve or c clips and shims acting to relieve bearing side load.

Hope this helps?

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.