A Capital Idea

Started by The Great Maudu, February 01, 2017, 02:16:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Great Maudu

The Pflueger's knew how to build quality reels. It can't be duplicated today. I'm a big fan of the Capital line of reels both from the aesthetic side and the fishing side. The 1985 is the smallest of the three and casts as well as any baitcaster. The 1988!and '89 make great trolling reels and bottom reels. The only thing these three will catch is someone's eye.

Penn Chronology

QuoteThe Pflueger's knew how to build quality reels. It can't be duplicated today. I'm a big fan of the Capital line of reels both from the aesthetic side and the fishing side. The 1985 is the smallest of the three and casts as well as any baitcaster. The 1988!and '89 make great trolling reels and bottom reels. The only thing these three will catch is someone's eye.

Nice Mike.

I always felt Pflueger was over built and over engineered. Some of their stuff is to the quality of hand made. They were that super high quality of product that came out of the Second Industrial Revolution (roughly 1870 to the end of WW I).
            The problem with that is they could not compete with the Penn. Ocean City had a similar problem because they also came out of the same time period in a way. Pflueger had fine products that were drastically hurt by the extreme changes forced on manufacturers during the Depression. Penn products were designed during the Depression and reflected the needs of the times while still providing the quality necessary to do the job and look pretty good. The Depression was a merciless time that only allowed the survival of the most adaptable makers.

Pflueger survived the Depression; but, the saltwater product branch of Pflueger sort of faded away. Ocean City folded in the late 1950's. Glad to see you bringing these old beauties back to the water. Most reside on shelves today.

That said, they sure make great collectibles!!! ;D

Bill B

Mike you must have a collection worthy of the IFGA Museum.....simply stunning group of Pfluegers .....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!