Fresh Fried Venison Heart

Started by ChileRelleno, February 01, 2017, 02:41:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

Three fresh deer hearts.

One of the most often overlooked, and best, pieces of the deer.
The heart is a muscle, and properly cleaned/cooked it is absolutely delicious.
A shame that it is too often tossed with the gut pile.

I always save the heart and liver.

Carefully trim and clean the heart, remove the upper part consisting of blood vessels and atriums.
Then trim the tops/outsides of fats.
There are a lot of of tough/fiborous inter-connective tissues in the ventricles that need to be carefully trimmed out.
Then slice into portions for frying.

Money Shot

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Dominick

I've eaten the lungs also.  Delicious.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Dominick on February 01, 2017, 03:17:08 AM
I've eaten the lungs also.  Delicious.  Dominick
I've never had lungs, but always eat the heart and liver from deer if in good shape.

From various animals I've tried a lot of organ meats.
Heart, liver, tongue, kidney, thymus, pancreas, stomach, brains and eyes.
Ragnar Benson:
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Dominick

Chili, I forgot that I have also had tongue and stomach not the other stuff though.  Here is a funny link re: lungs.  http://italianosity.blogspot.com/2014/04/the-yuck-side-of-italian-food.html  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Big Tim

Looks good Chile..Never had lungs or eyeballs  :o But had and broke a few hearts  ;D

BT

Tightlines667

Venison hearts are great.  I like mine fried in some butrer with garlic, and eaten on toast.  Kinda like i like ny breakfast blood sausage.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

David Hall

I was going to say:
I've never been able to eat the heart from any of my deer, it's always blown to pieces!   
But figured I better just say: 
I have had the pleasure of eating deer heart.
And
I will say it was very good.
Great money shot, makes me hungry and I just ate.

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Big Tim on February 01, 2017, 03:42:08 AM
Looks good Chile..Never had lungs or eyeballs  :o But had and broke a few hearts  ;D

BT
:D
Thanks
Quote from: Tightlines666 on February 01, 2017, 04:25:14 AM
Venison hearts are great.  I like mine fried in some butrer with garlic, and eaten on toast.  Kinda like i like ny breakfast blood sausage.

John
Yes they are.
These were cast iron fried in butter, spiced with Sea salt, Smoked Paprika, garlic powder and dried cilantro.
I would love to be able to get a good blood sausage, can't find any here.
Perhaps I need to start making sausages?
Quote from: David Hall on February 01, 2017, 06:11:41 AM
I was going to say:
I've never been able to eat the heart from any of my deer, it's always blown to pieces!   
But figured I better just say: 
I have had the pleasure of eating deer heart.
And
I will say it was very good.
Great money shot, makes me hungry and I just ate.

LOL... As much as I like dropping a deer in it's tracks, a jellied heart makes me sad.
Thanks for the compliments.
Ragnar Benson: