penn 525 mag pressed bearing ?

Started by arrowhawk, April 21, 2011, 11:09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arrowhawk

I friend of my brought his penn 525 mag reel in for a repair.
The tackle shop staff told him it seems like it needs a new bearing but the bearing needs to be pressed in.
Which bearing on this reel needs to be pressed in?
Thanks

Fishermans Paradise

I own two of these reels, I admit its been a while since I have done a full teardown, but if memory serves me correctly, neither of my 525 mags presented any problems removing bearings, I even replaced all the stock bearings with some abec 7 bearings I got from Boca bearing.  What type of problem is your friend having with the reel that had him bring it in for service?

Alto Mare

Quote from: arrowhawk on April 21, 2011, 11:09:48 PM
I friend of my brought his penn 525 mag reel in for a repair.
The tackle shop staff told him it seems like it needs a new bearing but the bearing needs to be pressed in.
Which bearing on this reel needs to be pressed in?
Thanks

I was looking for a schematic on this reel to see what the tackle shop staff was talking about and this is what I came up with:

NOTE: Staff at Mysticparts.com spent quite some time comparing inventory to the bearings in stock, but were unable to come up with a replacement. The bearing is factory installed in the housing frame during manufacture and is not a replaceable part by itself. Hope this helps

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

This is one of the reasons why I only use older Penn reels.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

arrowhawk

if penn parts only sells the bearing  sideplate together does that a new bearing would have to be pressed in?

Can a new bearing be found or did penn make an odd ball size?

Fishermans Paradise

Ah ok, I had to pull em apart today to see it, yes I see the bearing you are talking about.  What was the problem he was having with the reel?

Alto Mare

Arrowhawk, check under Penn Tutorial & Questions. The Master has a tutorial on a 525 Mag, sorry I just realized it. There is a lot of information there, I'm sure that Fisherman Paradise can also help you figure this out. If needed, I think I saw somewhere that a new plate for this reel costs around $35 ,but I don't remember where I've seen it and yes it does come with a pre-set bearing.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

JGB

The bearing is the right spool/pinion support bearing. It is stamped into place. Penn only sell the assembly as a unit.
Options are to press it out and/or grind the 4 stamped legs that hold the bearing in place. Measure the bearing and replace it.
Make sure the new bearing is snug enough so it will not shift out of place. I wish Penn would have used a retaining clip as this bearing has high exposure to water.

If the bearing is still good you can remove the shield on the outside, Clean and oil.

Jim N.

alantani

here is the bearing that supports the pinion gear.  it is very easy to tap out. 

well, now we have a problem.  we need to pack the pinion bearing (no key #) with grease. to get to it, we will have to back track and remove the spool. 

with the spool removed, the pinion bearing (no key #) taps out easily.  it measures 8 x 12 x 2.5mm.  the bearing should be cleaned, packed with grease and reinstalled.

i was also told, however, that there is a bearing hidden under here.  this bearing will not affect freespool and will barely be felt during cranking, even if it is totally corroded.  if you have this reel, i would shoot some grease into the hole a be done with it. 

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Alan, do you think that this sensless design was done becouse there is no need to replace that bearing or was it done so that the costumer wouldn't have any choice but to purchase the whole plate? :-\

alantani

i'm sure there was a reason somewhere.  it is not an unworkable system.  it just takes a little more effort.  or perhaps whoever put the bearing there figured it would never fail.  you know, mistakes do happen.  what makes it tough for us is that the corporate culture will not allow companies to openly admit mistakes.  long term, that pattern of behavoir destroys consumer confidence in a product line or a company. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

arrowhawk

What about the bearing where the spool shaft spindle meets  the cast control knob.  Is that bearing pressed in?

Irish Jigger

Very popular reels over here. Just put spindle in brass "tube" and wiggle it about carefully to loosen fit in moulded housing. Gently pull the brass tube part from moulded housing. The inner bearing can now be pressed out. Fit new inner bearing and press brass tube back into side plate.