Shimano CTE 400 Drag Pin Question

Started by jgibbs, February 01, 2017, 03:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgibbs

Hello,

I just installed those lovely Carbontex washers in my Calcutta TE 400 but in the process the tiny Drag Click Pin ( part BNT 2122) disappeared. Hopefully not in the works somewhere. The Pin Spring ( part BNT 2123) is still where it's supposed to be, not doing anything now, obviously. The spring sits in its hole in the washer-like Drag Click Pin Holder (part BNT 2697). I'm thinking to leave things as they are; the reel appears to be operating just fine. Interestingly on schematics for both the CTE-400 and CTE-401, the Drag Click Pin Holder is shown with one hole to accommodate spring and pin. My holder has two holes, one being smaller. I wonder how important the Click Pin Holder is to the entire drag washer, gear stack height dimensions. —Jerry

Keta

It will work but I would replace it, give Shimano a call.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

steelfish

Quote from: jgibbs on February 01, 2017, 03:23:06 PM
Hello,

I wonder how important the Click Pin Holder is to the entire drag washer, gear stack height dimensions. —Jerry

I have the same reel and I can tell you that pin is important if you want to hear the beautiful music that a reel made when a nice fish is taking line out.
the only reason for that pin is to make clicking sound when a fish is taking some line, if you can live without it leave it as is but I recommend to install it to have the reel (beautiful and expensive) working as it came from factory.

the pin you are missing goes and hit this small pin "bumps" to make the sound
The Baja Guy

jgibbs

Guys,
Thanks very much for you input. Miraculously--I think-- I actually found the missing pin on my work bench! If I can grip the thing with mini pliers again and not drop it, I'll get up nerve to re-install it!
Jerry

alantani

you can leave it out if you wish.......   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

exp2000

Quote from: jgibbs on February 01, 2017, 03:23:06 PM
I wonder how important the Click Pin Holder is to the entire drag washer, gear stack height dimensions. —Jerry

It's difficult to provide a definite answer without one disassembled  in front of me but I would check the following:

If the click pin holder is supporting the anti-reverse ratchet you may have problems as removing it will alter the height of the anti-reverse ratchet in the stack affecting alignment with the clutch trip pawl and the anti reverse pawl.

Even if it does not change the position of this part, it may still provide some lateral support effecting it's stability.

In any event, I can see nothing to be gained by removing it and the possibility of introducing potential risks so what would be the point?

But if you are not going to replace the click pin, you should also remove the click spring just to make sure it does not foul against any moving parts.
~

jgibbs

Very good points all around re the pin holder's effect--and, removing the spring if not re-installing the pin. Thanks!

philaroman

yeah, if you're going to omit parts "intentionally", 2122/2123 are pretty much a set...  prob. fine without short-term, but best replaced eventually, for stability

if discontinued, check Shimano spinner drag knobs: same part serving same purpose -- can't imagine Shimano had too many variations...  if the spring in the donor reel is same size, the pin should be pretty close to your lost original...  might need a little touch-up w/ a jewelers file...  could probably even use aluminum wire same OD as the hole in the ratchet, to make one from scratch.