Crazy Penn Shuffle

Started by Maxed Out, February 02, 2017, 11:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

Seems whenever I convert a Penn I always have a pile of leftover parts. So I came up with a formula to convert 4 Penns at once and no extra parts leftover. All I needed was to add 2 (65) posts, and after the shuffle I had 2 (3/0) posts leftover.

Front row is a long beach 65 and a jigmaster 500, back row is a 3/0 senator and a silver beach 99.

Disassemble and ready for the big shuffle. (note 2 extra posts top middle)
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Maxed Out

Ok, now the shuffle is complete and these are ready for reassembly.

The 65 now has jigmaster posts and seat, and 3/0 spool

The jigmaster has the 65 seat and posts and silver beach spool

The narrowed 3/0 has 99 posts (+2 I add here), 99 seat, 65 spool

The Silver beach has 3/0 seat and posts, and jigmaster spool

Maxed Out

....and the same 4 reels. The silver beach is now jigmaster 500 width. The 3/0 senator is now a 2.5/0 senator. The long beach 65 is now extra wide, and lastly the jigmaster is now a 99.

I have 2 3/0 bars leftover............that's it !! I can live with that   8) 8)

Dominick

Now that makes my brain hurt.  You have too much time on your hands Ted.   ;) Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

broadway

Dominick's right, too much time, but that's simply amazing.  I had no idea that could be done and it's pretty darn inspiring.  You have a Penn parts list built into that brain of yours... never saw anything like this.
It's one of the only times spare parts are acceptable. ;)
Thanks for showing us how it's done,
Dom

theswimmer

There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

thorhammer

The first thing that I thought was damn Ted you have too much time on your hands but I scrolled down to see our two Doms had same opinion. Your mental catalog is encyclopedic

swill88

Wow Ted!

How do you remember it all?

I don't think you're drinking enough.

Steve

Bill B

Duuuuude amazing   :o    Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

mo65

Ted...what's the story on that mile long handle on the 3/0? Is that a stock Penn piece or a custom?
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Maxed Out

Quote from: mo65 on February 03, 2017, 08:05:45 AM
   Ted...what's the story on that mile long handle on the 3/0? Is that a stock Penn piece or a custom?

Lol, the long handle is factory made, but certainly not a stock item. They were custom made by a guy that worked in the Penn plant in the early 50's. His son found them in a box of parts that had been stored for over 50 years. I only got 1 of the 3 he had. The other 2 reside in the collection of a AT member.

-Ted

foakes

Well done, Ted --

Experience at your level breeds super efficiency...

Impressive  use of resources.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

coastal_dan

Quote from: Maxed Out on February 03, 2017, 07:07:19 PM

Lol, the long handle is factory made, but certainly not a stock item. They were custom made by a guy that worked in the Penn plant in the early 50's. His son found them in a box of parts that had been stored for over 50 years. I only got 1 of the 3 he had. The other 2 reside in the collection of a AT member.

-Ted

Love these little stories.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Tightlines667

Quote from: coastal_dan on February 03, 2017, 09:53:38 PM
Quote from: Maxed Out on February 03, 2017, 07:07:19 PM

-Ted

Love these little stories.

Ted could easily fill a book with the stories he's got.

;D
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Decker

Very clever post.  Proves my theory that penn reels are leggos for salty dogs.