penn torque maintenance

Started by ruf9ii, May 02, 2009, 04:28:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ruf9ii

gday alan, great site. see your reviews and tutorials popping up all over the place, good work :)

now for my question, iv got a penn TRQ 200, and was wondering how and how often i should service it?

also, from your experience, what is your opinion on these reels?

thanks greatly,
regards john

alantani

very, very solid.  i would do the same thing to this reel as all the others..... greased carbon fiber drag washers, open spool bearings, grease in all non-spool bearings, grease on the screws, and grease on all the non-exposed metal surfaces.  gotta do a full post on this one someday.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

maine guide

Has anyone done a full tutorial on the breakdown and maintenance/rebuild of the Torque series yet? 

Squirmypug

Maine Guide, I don't think there has been a tutorial on the Torque yet. They are very simple reels to work on, if you open one you shouldn't have a problem getting it back together.
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

LilRascal

Hey all,

I noticed this thread died a while back. Anyone know if a tutorial has ever been done on a Torque?

I have a Torque 300X Star Drag that a friend has asked me to look at. Last time we were out the reel was functioning but making a lot of unhappy  grinding /crunchy noises. He's fished this thing had and has had someone else work on it several times over the years.

I went to remove the left side plate, after removing the 4 side plate screws I expected the side plate to slip off but it did not. There is a chromed center screw on the right side plate which was reverse threaded (LH thread). As I backed this off the side plate began to come off but still appeared to be attached at the top near the harness lug. I'm very hesitant to attempt to pry the side plate off. Per the schematic it looks like ther is a dowel pin that might be hanging up. Any suggestions as to the cause of the noise (I'm thinking ARB is toast) and best way to get into this would be greatly appreciated.
Chris
CB, NC

alantani

not sure, but the old torques were very simple - straight in, straight out, no tricks.  very solid reel!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

LilRascal

That's what I had read so far. Will keep at it.

What is normally the first thing to go on a star drag like this? Clutch bearing? spool bearing?

Thanks Alan
Chris
CB, NC

conchydong

LilRascal

Awesome thank you. And Thanks Mo!

I did several searches but that thread did not come up. Looks like Mo didn't have the same issue I'm having so I'm guessing that the pin is corroded. busting out the elbow grease.
Chris
CB, NC

handi2

These are some of the best reels ever made by Penn. The older International Torque reels just keep going.

The only trouble area i have seen is the eccentric lever and the eccentric and jack inside. They are prone to corrosion.

They have the best anti reverse system made.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Dominick

The Penn Torque 300 is my go to reel for my Mexico trips.  I take the Tank, the 300 and the Torque 100.  That takes care of almost everything that might be hooked in Baja Sur.  I am going to get a Penn Torque 200 to complete the set if I can find one in prime condition.  I to think they are just about the best reels Penn put out there.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

LilRascal

Handi2,

No doubt. The trouble I was having getting the side plate off was due to water intrusion and corrosion in several places. It looks like the old style washer on the eccentric lever has been replaced with a bushing which should help the intrusion. Also had intrusion at the harness lugs so I've added grease here to fill the voids. This thing looks like a tank and very simple. My buddy says it's his favorite and he has several that I get to go thru.

I'm having trouble getting the rings off of the smaller bearings (using Alabn's hook method) to clean and service them. Does anyone know if I'm missing something here?
Chris
CB, NC