My Family of Small Penns

Started by dogtagger, February 03, 2017, 10:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dogtagger

Clockwise from the left: Beachmasters 165, 180, 160, 200 Surfmaster and 155 Beachmaster. The 180 and 160 are loaded with lead core line for trolling for togue (lake trout) and land-locked atlantic salmon. The 180 has about 6 colors of LC and the 160 has 8 (each color is 30 feet). I'm hoping the 155 will take 10 colors. I was a bit surprised that the 200 uses the 6-60 drag washers rather than the 6-155. Great little reels.

The 180 doesn't have any numbered parts-- must be fairly old??

foakes

Impressive arsenal, David --

Hard to beat those Penns.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

STRIPER LOU

Several Black Beauties. All very nice!
............Lou

Tightlines667

I kinda like the cute little reels.  They were introduced when the comcept of fishing for sport rather then substenance was gaining popularity in the states.  I believe these small reels had nonnumbered parts  stretching beyond the accepted ca.1950 date for transition to numbered parts.  Without the origional  handle knob, production dates can be tough to nail down.  The 200 was quite the value, and as such was very popular. 

Thanks for sharing!

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Bill B

Nice group of reels.....they will still be catching fish for your grand kids......Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

mo65

Quote from: dogtagger on February 03, 2017, 10:43:08 PM
I was a bit surprised that the 200 uses the 6-60 drag washers rather than the 6-155. Great little reels.

Yep...those Surfmasters use the slightly larger #5-60 gear...and the Baymasters and Beachmasters use the #5-155. Although both gears have the same speed(around 3:1) the extra drag surface area of the larger #6-60s gives the Surfmaster a power edge. Nice lookin' stable of reel there! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Alto Mare

Nice reels David, They will still get the job done.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Maxed Out

The knuckle buster on far left is the one that should go on the shelf

-Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

dogtagger

Quote from: mo65 on February 04, 2017, 01:58:07 AM
Quote from: dogtagger on February 03, 2017, 10:43:08 PM
I was a bit surprised that the 200 uses the 6-60 drag washers rather than the 6-155. Great little reels.

Yep...those Surfmasters use the slightly larger #5-60 gear...and the Baymasters and Beachmasters use the #5-155. Although both gears have the same speed(around 3:1) the extra drag surface area of the larger #6-60s gives the Surfmaster a power edge. Nice lookin' stable of reel there! 8)

Mo, yeah I've had the reel for several years, but never cracked it open until yesterday. It had the old paper? washers in it and all stuck together. I only had 2 6-60s so I sub'd a 6-155 on the top since I'll never be using it for anything that will test it too much.

I still have all of the old handles, but figuring out what went with each would be near impossible, except maybe the 180.