To much or to little rod for that reel I got the
Rod for 50.00 I think that was a good price
Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Scott

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

fishgrain

balanced tackle has always been my goal. for best performance

fishing rod blanks take different amounts of pressure or force to bend. "80-130" is just a generic classification, meaning a total beef stick for muscling large fish

to keep the line taught and max pressure on fish you want the rod bent to a 90 degree angle, any more it could snap, any less is likely not keeping the line tight. (fish more likely to spit hook)

reels in turn also have sweet spots or amount (measured or referred to in pounds typically) of drag pressures they are capable of producing. in other words the amount of force (or weight) needed to pull line from the spool while engaged (not in free spool)

the idea is to match the stiffness of the blank to the drag pressure you will be setting the reel for, so that your reel starts giving out line at approx. the point that your rod is bent at 90 degrees.

You would not want the reel to overpower the rod, so that even at 90 degree the reel is not giving line, causing it to bend further, and conversely you would not want your reel to give line when the rod is barely bent.

then enters line weight as well as terminal tackle, particularly the size of hooks, or thickness, gauge of the metal

thx, jay

ps keep in mind this rule of thumb changes a bit for application / situation / preference etc. and particularly with a meat stick ...... because an 80-130# rod that is bent to 90 degree stand up fishing aka raw dog  ;D (no chair , rod holder or other assisting device) is going to be placing a tremendous amount of pressure on the angler. in other words, wear a gimbal belt, bend your knees, and do lots of curls because your forearm and bicep is going to get jacked, hard.

hopefully you get something to tug that hard at least. that's what I dream about most days anyway

FatTuna

That was a really good write up by fishgrain. I really don't have much to add. It's true that a rod that is too stiff will result in more pulled hooks. When the fish changes direction, the bend in the rod acts as a spring, taking up slack. As soon as you feel the rod go flat, you need to start cranking hard to keep the line tight. Never assume that the fish got off. Many times it's running right at you. Using a longer topshot and having the right rod can be the difference between landing a fish and having a temper tantrum.

Gunrunner

Thanx much for the info I do appreciate it
And I do love this place just for the education
Alone my next question is how many yards and
What test weight braid would you use on a 10/0
And the same for the top shot I was thinking 130lb
Braid with 100 lb top shot of mono say 100 yard

Scott

FatTuna

130lb backing and 100lb topshot sounds good. That's how I've been spooling up 50Ws. I usually try and get at least 100 yards of topshot. The rest is backing.

Gunrunner

Gray that's what I was thinking fat tuna 100-150
Yds top for shock value the top shot if I understand
Is the only place there is any stretch when using
Braid

Thank again
Scott