upgrading penn 310gti and 330gti drag washers

Started by sturgeonhunter, April 22, 2011, 06:28:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sturgeonhunter

First thing props to Alan Tani for a great website I would like to know about upgrading drag washers in both reels,I have checked your tutorial for servicing these reels.I have no major issues with either reel useing in both ocean and inshore fishing,caught alot of fish without incidents here in Northern California.also would like your take on braided line use on these reels Penn 310gti is used with a Shakespere Tiger Rod BWC 2200 7' rated at 12 - 30 lb test stainless steel guides,and Penn 330gti used with a Shakespere Tiger Rod BWC / AO ( Aluminum Oxide ) guides from stripper to tip 7' rated at 20 - 50 lb test,rods used to catch fish ranging from rockfish to sturgeon.

Squirmypug

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9.0    This is a rebuild of a 320gti but it seems to be the same for all the gti reels.There is more on the other gti reels under Penn Tutorials and Questions."i would not call the 320 a true third generation reel, but it can take excellent advantage of the new spectras and high test monofilaments."From the page I posted at the start.Good luck and have fun rebuilding your reels  ;D
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

sturgeonhunter

what I am trying to do is find out if there is upgraded drag washers Ican use instead of the original set,I know about the #6-875 fiber washer upgrade behind drag pack.I am wanting to know if there is drag washer upgrades to main drag pack.thanks for input squirmypug.these reels are around 17 years old and still look like they did when bought brand new,just looking to upgrade main drag washer set or if standard set they come with is what everyone use.

Squirmypug

I'm not sure but I think you can get Carbontex drag washers.I think they preform the same as ht-100 drag washers you can get from Penn tho.I'm sure someone that knows more will tell you more about them.
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

Bryan Young

If your reels have HT-100s in your reel, the best thing you can do is grease them with pure teflon grease, like Cal's or Shimano.  Some use First Line teflon grease (normally used on bicycles) with good success.

Other than using greased carbon drags, you could possibly fit a spring washer  on top of your drag stack.

But, the GTIs have graphite frames.  They do have limitations and will warp right before they shatter if the drags are too tight.  What is the maximum drag are you hoping for?

Come on over to Alan's, and we can quickly look over the reel to see what can be done if you want a second opinion.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

akfish

I wouldn't try to push the GTi series any harder than they were designed for. They do great with greased carbon fiber HT-100 drag washers. Fish stock, you can get more drag with these reels that they can really handle: The frame will torque and fry the gears with anything approaching about 20# of drag, which you can get with 5 006-320 HT-100s. I see **lots** of 320s and 330s in the shop that need new gears and new level winds from people fishing 80# spectra for halibut. If you like these reels look at the new Penn Fathom series. These are very similar reels -- the same gear ratios, level winds, etc. -- but with metal frames.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

sturgeonhunter

thanks for input Bryan and Akfish,both reels have drag washers they came with new,Ialways back off drag completely after day of fishing,clean and

lubricate them waiting for next time out.Don`t want to overdue / exert to much drag or damage them,just thought it`s time to upgrade the drag washers

just wanted info on tuning them some for little more performance / smooth operation.I use these reels mostly for shallow water rockfish,halibut,striper

sturgeon fishing and occasionally shark and rays inside San Francisco Bay into delta near MothBall Fleet in Suisun.

alantani

the stock penn drag washers should be fine.  just add cal's grease!  as for the hard fiber washer under the main gear, i like replacing that one with carbon fiber washer.  dawn has them in stock.  use the carbontex washer for the 310 gti.  you can use carbontex or a penn #6-875 under the main gear of a 330.  once you grease up those drag washers, you will no longer have to worry about backing off the drags.  leave them buttoned down and you'll still never have a problem. 

i have a set of 320 gt2's that are loaded with 50# braid and they are used for deep water rock fish and salmon trolling with 2.5 pound lead balls on a sinker release.  which means that they are not used anymore.  take a look at the jigmaster and senator power handles as upgrades for your reels.  i have extras if you're interested.  thanks!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

sturgeonhunter

thanks Alan for info you have a great website,what # is the carbontex washer under the main gear for the Penn 310gti ? I remember the # for washer under main gear for the Penn 330gti. I checked out the tutorial for the Penn 330gti got info from there.would you know if the shakespere tiger rods are capable of using braid with them,rod used with the Penn 330gti is a shakespere tiger rod with original fuji aluminum oxide guides from line stripper to tip,the tiger rod used the Penn 310gti has the original guides would guess they are stainless steel.The Penn 310gti I like to use for striper and halibut and shallow water rock fish and occasionally for sturgeon.I seen that you rid the reels of their spring washer under star wheel is that because they really aren`t needed.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

sturgeonhunter

thanks for the link Bryan I checked it and got the info was looking for.I will look up washers / lube / grease on smooth drag for repalcements.