If I knew it was her birthday I would've.

Started by David Hall, February 06, 2017, 04:40:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Hall

My wife of 43 years, bless her heart she just loves to give me the impossible task when it comes to gifts and such.  Like she asked for a bathrobe, easy enough you might think, but wait there's more, it must be floor length, it must have pockets, it must have a tie, it must be made of chanille, it must have a collar.  She's not picky on color as long as it's not, red, pink, blue or purple,  or black.   NO problem babe!  I got it covered!
  Well she had a birthday last week and all she wanted was dinner at her favorite restraunt and a cake.  Reservation got it covered, but wait!  There's more!  The cake, she wants something called a Hawaiian chiffon guava cake?  No problem babe got it covered!  Unfortunately the baker that made them sold out, the good news is she sold the recipe with the bakery!  Hey no problem I'll just call and order one!  Hello I'd like to order a guava cake! Sure no problem, what day next week would you like it?  Hum yes I'd like it tomorrow next week
If that's okay?  Sorry we need at least 4 days to get you on the production schedule!  PRoduction schedule?  Your a *%^*#*g bakery!  What do you mean production schedule, we're sorry but there's a lot of birthdays this week.  Well thank you anyway. 
  It's only a cake how tough could it be!  Get some guava juice comcentrate, some heavy cream, cake flour.  The rest is on the shelf at home.  8 egg whites beaten until they form stiff peaks, 2 cups cake flour, One T baking powder, 8oz. Guava juice comcentrate?  Where the he** do I get guava juice comcentrate? four stores later I come home with guava strawberry juice concentrate.  Okay so I had to make a guava strawberry chiffon cake but she's a great lady so I'm in!  Here's the result.

David Hall

The frosting is heavy cream whipped, with 8oz. Guava strawberry comcentrate folded in.
The glaze is 12oz guava strawberry comcentrate reduced and thickened.
Gotta say it is a fantastic tasting cake I can see why she likes it so much.

Todd Jacobsen

Great job on the cake for your wife. It looks great and the story with the robe was good as well as I can relate to that

Tiddlerbasher

Great job David - That should win some Brownie points ;D

Reel 224

Great job Dave, that is amazing. But I will not show Ruth this one.. ;D ;D ;)

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Rancanfish

David, you caused a cold chill to pass over me!

My first thought was 'Oh I missed her birthday!'

But then I remembered Valentine's day come's first, then her birthday, whew.

I think I will steal your example here.  Great job, and presentation.  You have skills.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

ChileRelleno

Kudos to you sir, on taking such excellent care of your wife's extravagant tastes.
I'm lucky and get off easy in that mine likes cash or iTunes cards.

It takes a knack for baking to be able to do it well, and with outstanding results.
It's definitely a combined class in chemistry, cooking and art
And your cake looks scrumptious, well done sir!

Seen some mighty fine dishes presented here, but this takes the cake...  Pun intended...  LOL.

Labor of Love.

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

alantani

well, you know, that bathrobe is not problem if she's really short!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

David Hall

Thanks everyone I hoped you'd all enjoy the tale, to bad the cake disappeared so fast you'll have to bake one yourself if you want to join that.

Alan, that's the problem she's not short. 
Chilli:  thanks but really it's just following the recipe, something so simple that took me so long to learn?

STRIPER LOU

Dave, I like German Chocolate cake in case you wanted to know!  ;D  ;D

Maybe some fresh strawberries on the side. Oh yah!

Have a great evening,  ..  Lou

Dominick

David how are you on a Sicilian cassata?  Oh and happy b'day to the wife.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

David Hall

Quote from: Dominick on February 07, 2017, 04:01:47 AM
David how are you on a Sicilian cassata?  Oh and happy b'day to the wife.  Dominick

Is that an intestinal condition?  Just kidding, but I don't have any idea what that is?

Dominick

Basically a sponge cake with rum and cannoli cream.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Decker

Where did you get the recipe?   I thought only my Dominican friends knew how to make cakes like that!  Mmmmm