Vacuum Base Vice

Started by SoCalAngler, February 09, 2017, 05:25:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalAngler

Where I live now I have no workshop all of a sudden :( the garage has been converted into a living area, so my normal man cave/work space is non existent or very limited to outside work.

I find myself needing a vice from time to time, nothing large like a bench vice but something decent sized say 2 1/2" to maybe 2 3/4" vice in size . I was thinking about a vacuum/suction base vice. I'd like something larger but with my living arrangements now the vacuum base vice seems like the best fit. I don't want to just leave a vice sitting outside in the weather that I may only use 2-3 times a year and not for bigger projects. My neighbors and friends will let me use their larger vices anytime I ask but I do not want to be "that guy" any time I need a third hand.

I was wondering if any of you use them? What features you look for and if any of you think there are some models/brands I should look at?

I was just checking some out on line but before I buy one I thought I would ask what you guys like.

Thanks in advance.

philaroman

same situation; don't trust the suction cups; permanently mounted a small vise on a board, that I pull out & secure w/ C-clamps, when needed

mo65

I have a little vacuum base...it works great for most light duty reel servicing. If i'm going to put serious pressure on something I use the bench mounted vise. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

theswimmer

I have left my big vise outside in all weather for 20 years now.
Wirebrush every 3 years or so and a can of Rustoleum ::)
I also have no room inside for a dedicated vise area.

All my work areas center around that vise.
It was my Grandpas of course...
Best,
JT
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Tightlines667

Quote from: philaroman on February 09, 2017, 04:29:34 PM
same situation; don't trust the suction cups; permanently mounted a small vise on a board, that I pull out & secure w/ C-clamps, when needed

I have my vice mounted to a board as well.  Thiscworks well in a small workspace, and frees up precious bench space.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

oc1

There are a clamp-on vices that work much better than suction.  This one is cheap and very versatile for light work:
https://www.riogrande.com/Product/Tabletop-Swivel-Vise/113147
-steve

Dominick

I have a couple of vices but I can't talk about them because of the 12 year old rule.  :D ;D Seriously the clamp on Vise looks like it can work for a lot of stuff.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

oc1

Works fine Dominick until you have to start pounding something.  Anything more than a tack hammer and you will pound it to death. The jaws are not precision either but they hold tight enough for use with small hand tools.
-steve

thorhammer

I have a clamp on in one shop; fine for light work and mobility is nice.

Dominick

Hey Steve you're looking a little grungy.   ::) ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

oc1

It's Saturday so I scrubbed up.
-steve